Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
So after a long hiatus from the mac world, I wanted to jump back in and get a MBP for scientific work. After looking at the history the MBP 15 seems to consistently have Feb06/Oct06/June07/Feb08/Oct08/ release dates (every 8 months). So it would seem very strange if we didn't have a new one in June. The question is, does it get the new intel 32 nm processor?

I really want a 17, but the other interesting thing I've found is that the 17s and 15s have always been released very close to each other (if not at the same time) and the biggest difference was in feb06 for the 15 and april06 for the 17. This still leaves 6 months with having the 17 on top before the oct06 15 release. However, with this october08 15 release and the feb09 17 release then there's only 4 months before the 17 will be outdone by whatever 15 comes out in june. No matter if it has 32 nm processors, it will probably outgun the current 17.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't put Apple passed it. Apple has been known to introduce a new product only to introduce a revision shortly after.

If you're wondering whether you should get one now or later, if you can hold off, that's great if not, just go buy one. You'll never be ahead of the Apple! :p

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
This is wrong. The 17" always comes out 5 months after the 15", but usually gets slight mid cycle speed bumps at the same time.

There wont be a new processor in the Apple MBP's until Q3 2010 (August 2010) which will be a mobile Core i7.

Apple wont give the 15" a speed bump any time soon, because it would disturb the 17" lineup. They may however give it a slight graphics card bump, but i find that very very very unlikely.

The next guaranteed update is Snow Leopard, and will come pre-installed on your new Macbook Pro in August, however if you buy one now, you'll always be able to install it yourself.
Snow Leopard will be a big update for the Macbook Pro range, allowing the graphics card to act in Hybrid SLI and Hybrid SLY and Open CL, you can check out more on Apples site.
Enjoy your new Macbook Pro :)

With Snow Leopard around the corner, and the recession happening, Apple is concentrating on Software updates rather than Hardware updates.

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
If it receives a graphics card bump (the 15), would this just be a graphics speed boost or would it add any functionality over the current 17 with snow leopard? By this I mean will it use the new snow leopard GPU features more effectively, or is the hardware already all there to use in the 17.

BTW thanks for telling people about the ADC thing, I might qualify, which is good, because the computer is breaking the bank even with the education discount.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think a minor update to the MacBook and MacBook Pros is coming sooner rather than later. Within the next few weeks...that will bring the MacBook (Late 2008) and 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2008) to MacBook (Early 2009) and 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2009).

I think the changes will be the 2.53GHz will be offered on the low-end MBP, whilst the 2.66GHz goes into the mid-range MacBook Pro.

I believe that Apple will offer the 256MB SSD as an option on the 15.

Lastly, I think Apple might offer an anti glare on the 15.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think a minor update to the MacBook and MacBook Pros is coming sooner rather than later. Within the next few weeks...that will bring the MacBook (Late 2008) and 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2008) to MacBook (Early 2009) and 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2009).

I think the changes will be the 2.53GHz will be offered on the low-end MBP, whilst the 2.66GHz goes into the mid-range MacBook Pro.

I believe that Apple will offer the 256MB SSD as an option on the 15.

Lastly, I think Apple might offer an anti glare on the 15.

Well it looks like I was sort of right...no anti glare, no 2.53 on the low end; but Apple did update the 15" to the 2.66 and offering the 2.93....

yargk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Yep, you were. Since they updated now, June is too soon. Now if I were to guess I would say the next update would be in August. Slight bumps + shipped with snow leopard.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I'd like to see minor updates with built in 3G or other cellular internet options.

fokket

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
There's supposed to be a price decrease for Penryns in May... would that help either minor upgrade or would they leave it til August since speed bump after March in June is too soon.

Saying that, when's the next Apple announcement thingy?

Tigerpaws

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
I don't think there will be any updates till October. Mid June the "back to school" promotion begins and Apple never introduces anything in that period or after till October. People that bought an Apple just to have it updated or have Snow leopard introduced would feel cheated that others have a different or better model. Only hope for an update would be June 8th at the Apple "conference" along with a new iphone. With the recession, I guess Apple is on a one year update cycle. What hurts is to pay the same money now as one could have 8 months ago for the same product or wait all the way till October lol :mad: Better to have these kind of headaches then others ;).

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Actually, Apple did update the MBP once in June during Back to School promo ever since I being keeping track on release date in 2006.

I think OP release date pattern look pretty promising that the cycle is pointing towards a June release this year.

The small bump to 2.66 and 2.93 is done unannounced, so I think that shouldn't be considered into the release cycle.

Apple do have previlige of introducing intel chip ahead of anyone else like the release of MB air, so I wouldn't be surprise if they release something mid June.

fokket

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
Thingy below sounds interesting

===
According to Fudzilla, Intel will release in June three new models of mobile Core 2 Duo CPU:
- Core 2 Duo T9900, clocked at 3.06 GHz with 6 MB of cache: 530 USD
- Core 2 Duo P9700, clocked at 2.8 GHz with 6 MB of cache: 348 USD.
- Core 2 Duo P8800, clocked at 2.66 GHz with 3 MB of cache: 241USD.
===

Personally I don't care for CPU speed increase, but I hope they put better GPU and HDD

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I wouldnt doubt a new updated 15" mbp later this year.

I'm definitely going to wait until next year for a 17" Nehalem mbp possibly with quad core + 8GB of RAM will be much cheaper and easily affordable + new SSD drives will be faster more efficient (controllers) and cheaper as well.

Now THAT would be a TRUE desktop replacement machine. :D

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I wouldnt doubt a new updated 15" mbp later this year.

I'm definitely going to wait until next year for a 17" Nehalem mbp possibly with quad core + 8GB of RAM will be much cheaper and easily affordable + new SSD drives will be faster more efficient (controllers) and cheaper as well.

Now THAT would be a TRUE desktop replacement machine. :D

While I am not sure they will be out this soon..I do think now is an awful time to buy with SL on the horizon, increasing SSD speed and reliability along with lower costs, and nehalem with the possibility of matte displays on the way...

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
===
According to Fudzilla, Intel will release in June three new models of mobile Core 2 Duo CPU:
- Core 2 Duo T9900, clocked at 3.06 GHz with 6 MB of cache: 530 USD
- Core 2 Duo P9700, clocked at 2.8 GHz with 6 MB of cache: 348 USD.
- Core 2 Duo P8800, clocked at 2.66 GHz with 3 MB of cache: 241USD.
===

Hmm that looks promising, looking at a new (low-end) MBP for college next year and I would like to see a bump before then. Going from 2.4ghz>2.66ghz sounds about right.

Though I much rather see the option for the anti glare screen (not to mention the glass weighs about 5 ounces), the newer battery design that the 17in has (don't care about swapping just want it to last), and a new graphics card. The GT130m sounds like the perfect candidate for these laptops, though with all the problems I hear from the 8600/9600s I am kind of hesitant to get a MBP with Nvidia graphics in it.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Wait for WWDC to see what happens (especially what happens with Snow Leopard).

I am personally waiting for SL to purchase my MBP with it pre-installed. Hopefully by that time there will be a 15" matte option.

Edit: And I do mean pre-installed. I do not want a drop in DVD of SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.