New MBP 15" Optical Drive Upgradability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asb36, Nov 13, 2008.

1. asb36 macrumors newbie

So I finally got the new MacBook Pro 15" and was wondering once Apple does start supporting Blu-Ray and starts shipping off new notebooks with integrated Blu-Ray players, can I upgrade my optical drive to read/write Blu-Ray discs? Also, would Apple be able to do this upgrade for me or do I need to find some service that does this? Thanks!

Oh and I will be sending it back and get a replacement as it came with 3 dead pixels in the middle of the screen forming a little triangle right in the center.

2. asb36 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. r88my macrumors regular

I don't think there is a definite answer until the time comes. The MBP pro would certainly need to be opened up, and the superdrive can obviously only be replaced by a similar sized optical drive. Thats assuming that apple will even sell these separately (which I highly doubt) but I'm sure some other company will sell them eventually. Then there's whether it will all hook up to the software ok. All in all not likely!

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think someone did a teardown of the new aluminums, and the optical drive uses a SATA connection. There's a thread on the MB forums where someone took out his optical drive and did a homebrewed mod to put in a second hard drive.

If the blueray drives use SATA, it may be physically possible to put it in. Whether the software supports it is another matter entirely.

5. wheelhot macrumors 68020

yes, you are correct, you can mount another hard disk into the new MBP replacing the optical drive and if the blu-ray drive is the same size as the current optical drive and uses SATA connection you should be able to fit it inside.