new MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoonshineSG, Aug 26, 2011.

1. MoonshineSG macrumors member

Planning to get a new MBP 15" and I have a couple of questions..

1. I intend to replace the DVD with a second HDD (by using OptiBay). Should I order the MBP with HDD and buy an additional SSD or order it with SSD and get a new HDD. Anyone knows what is the SSD brand and specs from apple ?

2. Is it worth updating the display to the high resolution? Since this is available only for BTO, unfortunatly none of the shops display the MBP configured with the high res monitor, so I cant really know what it looks like (I am afraid that at high resolution it will be too small to read and starinfull for my eyes) Anyone has experience with this ?

3. Order with 8GB or do an update later ? Price dif is not too high, so I am more inclined to order with the 8GB... Advice ?

Thank you.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

1. Buy the SSD retail. Cheaper, faster, just better.
    They use a Toshiba Controller which can be found in the V+100. It is good in power consumption and still a huge step up from an HDD but it cannot compete with modern SATA 3 SSDs like Curcial M4, Sandforce SF-2200 drives.

2. Definitely.
    Unless you have some serious eye problems it is the best too have higher res. I personally wouldn't buy a MBP if I couldn't get the HD matte screen. It is just awesome I'd never get anything else.

3. Just check and compare the prices in retail and the store. It is a pure price thing. Just count in shipping costs and stuff, also you probably won't be able to sell the 4GB ram for any decent price. That stuff is hardly worth the shipping costs anymore.

3. MoonshineSG thread starter macrumors member

I hate the fact that they dont mention what SSD is.

I'll be placing my order soon... Thanks.