New mbp: 16% less battery capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gothamm, Oct 18, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

This confirms what I suspected—the new MacBook Pro battery has a lower capacity than the old one. About 16 percent less to be specific. The old battery was rated at 5600mAh/60Wh, but the new ones are rated at 4700mAh/50Wh. This perfectly explains why you now need to use the integrated Nvidia GeForce 9400M on the new Pro to get the same five-hour (rated, not real world) battery life as you did with the discrete 8600M GT on the previous-gen Pro, despite its use of more energy-efficient DDR3 memory (which would negate drops from the faster FSB) and the same processor clock speeds.

-Gizmodo

2. nishishei macrumors regular

Damn... Apple is losing it. The entire refresh has been a big step backwards for the MBP line. WTH?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was wondering when someone would check the battery capacity. I was going to do it myself.

4. Kaupa macrumors regular

My old MBP batt ist rated 5500 and has like 5450 (3 Cycles 2 days old)...
    Guess they used a smaller one to hold the weight!

5. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

I suspect all the clearance/refurb old model MBPs will fly out of Apple's warehouses now. I'm pretty glad that I was able to get one for such a stealing price. :)

6. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

me too. the glossy screen model i ordered this morning is no longer available.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It shouldn't matter if capacity decreased if battery life is the same.

Apple did say using the 9600M yields about 4 hours, which is technically in spec with the battery life on the 8600M MBPs.