New MBP - 16GB enough for Adobe LR?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaFrentz, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LaFrentz macrumors member

LaFrentz

Hey guys, I need your support. After yesterday's announcement I am uncertain what to do. My original plan was to look for either a maxed 13" or, if affordable a mid range 15" with a dGPU. Now with the prices I am reconsidering if I should just wait until March and hope for a price drop (which may not come).
    I think I am not needing the top CPU and neither a 2TB SSD but it stresses me is that I have no 32GB option. The touch bar however seems to have terrific possibilities. Curious to see how Adobe would make use of it.

So, please tell me, is 16GB enough to run Adobe Lightroom with >50.000 pictures smoothly. I am a hobby photographer and the library is growing continuously. Other software I use is mostly Office, Photoshop (not much), Spotify, Acrobat and Firefox (>10 tabs simultaneously). I am also having an eye on games like Civ 6. Any recommendation for the video card?

Anyone of you with a similar usage? Buying now or waiting and hoping for 32GB in March?

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Yes, been running LR on 16GB since 2012. LR really only needs CPU speed and then only to generate previews and export files. My iMac has 24GB and it makes no difference compared to my 16GB in the 2012 rMBP. Even if they had offered 32GB I likely would have stuck with 16GB as I don't do much needing RAM.

3. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I run LR on 8GB and it works great. My Lightroom library is 220GB.

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

Yes. mine is even bigger and I never had trouble on an 8gb system. I do split my files into different catalogs since that is how Lightroom organizes things and keeps track of changes you apply to each image. It makes sense since I rarely work on files from 2012 in 2016, etc.

5. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

are you going for the 13 or 15? I have a 12 inch and a 15 inch right now and I find it hard to edit photos on the 12. I really want the 13inch one but I cannot decide because editing is way easier on the 15

6. LaFrentz thread starter macrumors member

LaFrentz

I'm looking for the 15". I still use my old 13" 8GB from mid 2010 and the screen size is simply not big enough. I hoped for a 14" but comparing the sizes of the new MBP 15" with my old 13" shows it is only 1-2cm bigger in width and length. The 15" is even lighter than the 13" from mid 2010. Really impressing.

I guess, I will look for the 460dGPU with 4GB and hope that it will hold for 5-6 years.

7. Nathe macrumors member

Never had any issues with 8GB and a 300GB+ library.