Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure where to put this -- it seems like a problem with my new Macbook Pro. I have the 17" version.

Please try this yourself and see what you get.

I am trying to import a video either from an iPhone 4 or a memory card from a Panasonic camera. Either one produces the same results.

When I preview before importing, the video plays back fine. After I import the video in iMovie, there are pixelation issues usually at the beginning and at the end. My clips have been about a minute long, so it could happen during the clip if they were longer.

I have tried all three USB ports. I have reinstalled iMovie. Could i have bad USB ports? I can sync in iTunes just fine.

I tried the same thing (import video) on my iMac and it works as expected.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Not sure about your panasonic but the iPhone 4 takes 720p video. Your 17" Screen is 1080p so the movie would have some pixelation if you play it on full screen?

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Not sure about your panasonic but the iPhone 4 takes 720p video. Your 17" Screen is 1080p so the movie would have some pixelation if you play it on full screen?

This is not a problem. You are merely viewing the limitations of your camera's technology. If you want professional results, i.e. no pixelation, you must use professional hardware and software solutions.

I disagree, 720p shouldn't pixelate enough to notice on a 17" screen. It's hard enough to notice anything on a 42"+ 1080p tv, if at all.

Also, he stated that it isn't occurring when importing to his iMac which I assume has a larger screen with at least the same resolution. I'll do some research and see if I can find a solution.

mmyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses so far. Some more points...

I used the migration assistant to move apps/data from my old macbook pro (mid 2009 model) to the new one. I used my time machine backup to do this.

It even does it when I use the iSight camera built into the display.

This makes iMovie completely unusable. I get the pixelation (bunch of black boxes all over the video at random points).

Could it be the migration? Could it be a display driver issue?

I am taking it to the Genius bar tomorrow, but was hoping to avoid the trip.

Thanks

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I disagree, 720p shouldn't pixelate enough to notice on a 17" screen. It's hard enough to notice anything on a 42"+ 1080p tv, if at all.

Also, he stated that it isn't occurring when importing to his iMac which I assume has a larger screen with at least the same resolution. I'll do some research and see if I can find a solution.

If it isn't native it would pixelate. usually we don't notice because the players might do some processing with anti-aliasing to smooth out the pixels. I believe most TV's do some of that as well.

I wouldn't rule out the import re-processing or down sampling the video thinking its helping you save on file size. What if you export the movie from Image Capture and view it with Preview?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.