New MBP 17" is OK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silentsage, Mar 13, 2009.

1. silentsage macrumors member

Before I bought my new unibody MBP 17" I read all the threads on this forum about it. I was concerned about the reported display issues and some of the other reports of defective machines. I spent about 30 minutes at the Apple store (Ann Arbor, MI) setting up a comparison of the displays for the 15" and 17". I couldn't see any obvious difference, so I bought one.

I could not be happier with this laptop. The display is spectacular. Colors are more vibrant than on the late 2008 17" MBP (my last machine). It's interesting to see as I browse the usual web sites that the colors used for text and images are brighter and have more subtle differences than was apparent before. I'd guess that a lot of the web sites are developed with desktop monitors that have wider color gamuts than most laptops. I believe it when Apple claims the color gamut on the UMBP 17" is 60 % greater than the previous model.

Regarding brightness, I don't see any obvious difference between the new UMBP and the late 2008 17" MBP that I used previously. I set them up next to each other on my desk and did a direct comparison (same desktop, full brightness, auto-dimming off, same gamma, etc.). The colors are clearly better in the UMBP, but the brightness is the same for both.

So far, it runs cooler than the late 2008 model.

Upgraded it with a Western Digital 500 GB drive. The ugrade is easy, and the drive is essentially silent. I've upgraded about 15 of the MBPs with new hard drives, and one of the tricks I learned is to make sure that the drive is firmly seated in the rubber grommets, and that the retaining bar is tight and does not crimp the grommets. I think some of the reports of noisy drives may be a result of not-quite-properly seated installations.

Build quality is the best I've seen in a laptop, and I've owned quite a few over the years.

I have no doubt that many of the issues raised in other threads are real. All I can say is that a new 17" UMBP purchased yesterday had no problems. If you're thinking about getting one, don't be afraid to - the 17" UMBP is in a class by itself.

2. James Cole macrumors 6502

Yes it is very impressive how much cooler it runs compared to the old model it replaces... it even runs much more cooler than the 15'' UBMBP.... Very good computer all in all...

In the brightness issue... well was your old MBP led???

3. silentsage thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it was LED-based. The prior laptop was a late=2008 MBP 17".

I have the 9C98 display. Some folks have said that the default calibration from Apple gives a display that is blue-tinted and washed-out. Mine was nearly perfect out-of-the-box. It's the first time I've bought an Apple laptop where the default calibration was good.

It occured to me last night that the displays on these things are better now than my 30" Apple cinema display. Time to dump the 30" on eBay.........

4. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I fully agree with this assesment. However, it seems that you - while being pleased with the product - have not felt the WOW factor this time. I´m going to make a point of this beause your last 17" was a Macbook pro (2008). I myself come from a Dell 15", and I think most people coming from other laptops, be it other brands or smaller Apple models, very well may be overwelmed by the 17" unibody.
    People in this forum have pretty high standards. The upgrades between the 08 and 09 models are being called minor. But the build quality, battery life and the screen of the new 17" is nothing short of spectacular. Why? Because there has never been a laptop like this before. It´s the worlds lightest and most lasting 17". People are being more than just spoiled if they cannot see the historical improvements this represents.
    There are so many things to smile about with this product. So where is the enthusiasm?

cheers,
    P

5. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

quick question to OP: is this the glossy or matte display you have?

6. silentsage thread starter macrumors member

kraftzwerg - It's a glossy display. So was the late '08 MBP.

Pagga - Actually, I'm very enthusiastic. This is definitely a WWWOOOOWWWW machine :)

I wrote the original posting because I had seen many of the postings raising doubts about the UMBP 17" (dim display, etc.). While there are no doubt folks who have machines with issues, it doesn't seem that everyone does.

I've been buying Macs since the original 128K Mac, and this is far and away the best experience I've had. I bought the late-08 17" MBP because it was at such a good price I couldn't walk away. I felt guilty buying the UMBP 17" because I wasn't sure I wouldn't be disappointed when I got it home. My rationalization was that the work I do could benefit from the better video chip, higher memory bandwidth, better battery, and wider gamut display. Now that I have, I'm certain I did the right thing for me. If anyone is thinking about upgrading from a late-o8 MBP, and you are fortunate enough to be able to do it, go for it! You won't regret it. The improvements in the early-09 are very apparent when you use it.

7. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I'm really starting to think many of these problems are stemming from a bad install of the OS on these machines. Everyone who likes their computer is reporting replacing the HDD first. Strike anyone else as more than a coincidence?