NEW MBP 17" Screen has "teething" issues - a Genius

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billandy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. billandy macrumors regular

Went to an Apple Store this afternoon to see the new 17-inch MacBook Pro. Unfortunately they only had the glossy version on display.

Never mind, I noticed that the particular unit had a very strange colour scheme and despite being at full brightness, the screen is as bright as 1/3 of that of a 15-inch model next to it. Asked a Genius, he said "we are experiencing some teething problems with the new 17-inch...".

Anyone here seen/own one of the new 17-incher?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have seen it. Its basically a light bleed on the bottom that creates a "Teeth" like figure. Its usually caused by improper connection of the LCD cord to the motherboard but it can be a issue with the backlit also. I had that issue on my Unibody MacBook after I mis-seated the cord.

3. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Damn, Apple quality control issues continue. As a first time Mac buyer it's disappointing, but now that my MBP is in perfect shape I love it.

4. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

You might try checking some of the many 17" threads already posted in the last week or so, with countless contributions from the very people whose observations you are seeking.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

pretty much, this doesn't need a new thread as theres already 4 threads on the topic.

By "teething" the original poster didn't literally mean teeth, he was referring to early production problems. "Teething" in English means Early.

6. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

I posted this because I thought that it's quite extraordinary that 1st, even the demo unit at Apple Store had such problem, which is definitely production defect; 2nd, the Apple Genius I talked to sorta acknowledged this issue and described it using the standard Apple PR term "teething" that became popular since the introduction of MobileMe.

Let's keep an eye and see where this is going and how high the defect rate really is that even my local Apple Store became one of the "lucky" recipients of a faulty display.

Maybe the factory girl's eating her lunch box while assembling that particular unit and the crumbs dropped into the socket connector? But still the display was fully functional, just the brightness was so low that you can barely see the desktop in Apple Store. Funny though when I entered that's the only machine no one's playing with, probably screen too dim? lol... how sarcastic

7. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

oh... and one more thing...

i also noticed that the estimated battery life when i took the plug off from 100% is 2.5 hours???!!! i get 2.5 hours from my 2.5 year old mbp! ???!!!

8. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

This has been mostly figured out here on this forum.

The new 17" MacBook Pro uses three panels:
    9C98 (Glossy)
    9C99 (Glossy)
    9CAC (Anti glare, Samsung)

9C98 is the panel that is coming out dim. I was in the Derby Street Apple Store this afternoon and both 17" MacBook Pros they had on display were 9C99 panels and looked almost as bright as the 9C85 15" MacBook Pro next to it.

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Can we make a temporary sticky? I'm getting tired of all different threads pertaining to the same issue.

10. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

What did you had running at the time?

11. taphil macrumors regular

I've seen 2 9C99 at my local Apple Store, and they were both dim as well. Not even close to being as bright as the 15" MBP.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Big surprise, first version has lots of problems. Its not like all "new" products have problems, and its usually best to wait till all the probs are gone....o wait...hmmm

13. P90Xfit macrumors regular

Are you really? Physically, mentally, or emotionally? :)

14. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I have checked two 17" UBMBP and one of them was perfect while the other one suffered from very dim screen + some bezel defects :confused:

15. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

just finder and the apple store concierge software. i'll go back and check the panel model number again.

16. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Optical illusion. I visited the Apple Store and saw that a 15" looked brighter than the 17" next to it.
    So I re-sized the Apple Store page that was being displayed to make it bigger on the 17" and now they both look the same brightness – the higher resolution of the 17" had been displaying the bright white page much smaller on the dark background than the 15" and it had therefore been perceived as being less bright overall.

17. DaveDaveDave macrumors member

Brilliant!

18. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

well "sir cecil", the inconvenient truth is that i could hardly see the content of the screen at all despite being at full brightness. why don't you travel down to cambridge and have a look yourself? maybe sir fred's £600k+ pension's also a nonexistent illusion? when even an apple genius acknowledged this issue?

19. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

It would be really hard to make this determination without the instrument used to measure nits.

20. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I'd hardly make an effort to go to the Cambridge store if, after days of knowing the computer was faulty, they still had it on display.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've got a couple of old mac using friends who keep telling me about the first mac commandment:

"Thou shalt not buy a version A."

As for the early production issues, doubtlessly some will trash it mercilessly while others will vigorously defend it and personally attack the critics.

Sigh.

22. billandy thread starter macrumors regular