New MBP 17 - Sister has Vista?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steveOooo, Aug 22, 2009.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Ok so i have a nokia n97 which can only be updated with Windows - my sister recently bought a new laptop with vista - would it be possible to install this on my new mbp?

does it have to be a certain typ e- ie oem or full retail?

when installing vista via bootcamp - does it completly wipe your mac hdd then partition or does it do it without wiping your mac hdd?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Her license will be for her computer only. You cannot install it on yours.

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

The copy of Windows has to be full retail. However, you might want to use your sister's laptop for your phone for the time being; Win7 is being released shortly. It would be a waste of money to buy Vista now (IMO).
    Boot Camp uses the empty space of your HD. You can select how much you want to give to the partition. The BC Assistant is very easy to use and will guide you through the steps. It won't erase your Mac partition.

4. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

if i did install vista how much disc space should i set aside for it - 15gb o think it says is the min.

Also, if i delete the partition of vista - will this give back xxGB of disc space back to me to use as mac journaled?

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If all you're going to use Vista (or 7) for is to update your phone, then set aside 16GB. Adjust accordingly if you plan to use any other Windows app.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you set aside say 20Gb, then when you delete the partition, just increase the size of your Macintosh HD.

7. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

The thing with Windows is it has to be activated for a particular PC. Even though your sisters laptop has Vista, the recovery disc will only work on that model laptop, and the COA isn't actually a COA that can be activated (as the laptops manufacturer pre-activates Vista prior to putting it on the recovery CD). Therefore, there is no way to get it to activate on your MBP.

Despite what people are saying, I have managed to install an OEM version of Windows Vista in Bootcamp before, so it is possible, however, with Windows 7 round the corner, and also being fairly cheap, I'd go with that.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The Boot Camp assistant dynamically shrinks you're OS X boot partition to accommodate a Windows partition of a chosen size. Windows then installs itself to that partition when you run the Windows installer off of the Windows disc. Should you choose to eliminate the Windows partition in the future, you can do so through the Boot Camp Assistant, which will then resize your OS X boot partition to take up the space freed from the deletion. You can purchase either an OEM version or a full retail copy of Windows for use with your computer, but not an upgrade version. If you purchase an OEM copy, you cannot reuse that license in the future on another computer should you choose to move your copy from one machine to another; only a retail copy gives you this ability. Any OEM version Windows Vista that you purchase now should come with a voucher to upgrade to Windows 7 for free upon its release, but check with your reseller before purchase.

9. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

However, you are likely to need to provide proof of purchase of an enitre 'Windows 7 capable' computer with Windows Vista OEM installed. This is what they did when Vista came out and you got a free upgrade voucher with XP.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Here's an easy and more importantly FREE AND LEGAL solution: download the Windows 7 Release Candidate. It is full Win 7 and it works full-on until March. After that it limits you to 2 hours usage until June. Then you'd have to buy it, but hey, that gives you almost a year of free, legal usage. And 7 is worlds better than Vista, anyway.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Too bad the RC is no longer available for legal download.

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The Coa can be activated i have done it. I used an oem dvd rather than the retail one because it had sp1. Then it did not like the retail key so i used the oem from hp and it activated on my macbook pro.

Another way to get free windows is download a trial of windows server you will get 120 days free.

13. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

or you could simply give the nokia to ur sis and buy urself an iphone...:D

did u think of using parallels? this is what i did in the days i had a N95...
    and then i realised that I did not need windows at all..cause leopard has isync (for contacts/calendar) and u cud mount N95 as a USB to transfer all the video/music...:)

14. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

haha yeah buy an iPhone [​IMG] but no you will be able to install windows on your mac with bootcamp and I'm pretty sure if you know how you'll be able to make an install disc from the preinstalled version on her laptop, pm me if you need help to do this [​IMG]

15. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Ok, I stand corrected - apologies, however I've never had any success doing this so maybe it's just Dell that hates us :p

16. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

is this the beta? wont it be a bit ropey, few problems etc...

at the mo i have xp installed, although i think i need to register it within 30days?

17. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nokia arent doing themselves any favours.. havent been able to update the nokia n97 - it comes up in pc suite, but on nokias site it makes no mention of it as a combaitble device for pcshite, er, i mean suite.

Apparently the software version of the phone is like a 'prototype' version!

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The beta was fine, the RC even better. Neither are available anymore.

19. ukcolinr macrumors regular

My personal recommendation if you only need Windows to update your N97 would be to use your sisters, I don't know if you've noticed on the Ovi site (http://www.ovi.com) but Nokia are shortly releasing a version of the Ovi suite for Mac. Use your Sisters PC til then, keep checking the Ovi website, and download Ovi Suite for Mac as soon as Nokia release it! Of course if you want to install Windows on your Mac anyway, then go down that route :) I wanted to just to play with Bootcamp lol (and installed Ovi Suite to keep my old N95 8GB up to date, now replaced with my 3G S heh)

Colin

20. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Hey this reminds me..did u know that Nokia has a suite for Mac too...? Its integrated with itunes...worked pretty well...and reg., the updates, dude...the updates dnt come in as frequently enough to warrant a separate partition for windows...U cud use ur sis's laptop till then...

21. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have zero faith in nokia making anything work on mac, and now pc! I will get an iphone as soon as theres a flash on it, however, my experience of nokia thus far, will see me get the next iphone for sure - with or without flash. Ovi store, i cant really be bothered buying apps, especially crap affiliated with nokia.
    Ive got the XP on my mac at the mo - im doing a comptia self taught book course so would be handy to have a peak at the other side, the eastern block of operating systems!

22. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

A suite for mac? you mean the Nokia Multimedia Transfer? oh that was fun... crashed my phone, crashed my powerbook - had the black screen of death! after i had issues whereby the trackpad would turnoff - had to eventually do a erase and install to get things back to normal - god bless nokia. Theres no way im going to download and install anything nokia ever again! I cant even take it into a care point because theres not one in southampton!

23. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

u just about summed up why i gave up my N95 and chose the iphone..never looked back since :D
    so to sum up..its up2 u to decide whether u can sacrifice a beautifully designed OS (Leopard) on a great machine for a slow, crappy phone and Windows..:)

On my intel MBP..I could manage my N95 with Multimedia transfer and isync...and when you have a nokia..crashes are common!