New MBP 17", slow wireless, internet crippled during file transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrCide, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mrCide macrumors member

Okay, just got my 17" MBP today and it's beautiful. Playing a lot learning a lot (my first mac). Having one big headache though..

What's up with the wireless speeds? I did some file copying from my Vista machine connected via ethernet and speeds were fine. Now I'm trying to copy some stuff from my girlfriends iMac over wireless (using a linksys wrt54g, both connected at G) and it's just balls slow. I'm talking about a meg a second, the hell?

Now, what's really making me upset is the fact that it's also crippling my internet speeds when I'm doing this wireless to wireless file copy. It's like it's pegged so bad at the super fast 1mb/sec that I can't even browse the web without it timing out half the time. Internet is fine when the file copy is not happening.

Checked a few things already with the wireless, changed to G only, changed to WPA2, changed to channel 11 or whatever, etc. Still balls slow. All wireless devices are in the same room. Anyone have any ideas or is this just pretty common?

Will a Time Capsule or AEBS at N speed make a big difference or am i experiencing a different problem? I can't imagine how well things will work with time capsule if any wireless data transfer is just going to end up cripping my internet, same thing with streaming to my HTPC which i was considering doing.

It's just kind of unacceptable, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: cripples the internet on both the iMac and the MBP (both are wireless) during the file copy. Vista machine is still fine during this ordeal of course.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u need to step your game up to wireless N. It won't be a whole lot faster but it does help out. Of course it depends how far you are from the router and all that.

3. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i have the exact same problem and am also using the wrt54g. i just assumed 1MB/s was the limit for wifi, but the fact that it kills internet is what makes it really annoying. bear in mind that this isn't even wireless > wireless, its a wireless laptop copying files to a desktop (both running osx 10.5.7) connected to the router via ethernet.

also, at work we're using an older linksys router, and i routinely wirelessly copy large files (its a media company) to and from my laptop without any internet degradation.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

This is common. It´s not your computer.

Wireless file transfer is the slowest thing I've ever experienced on a Mac.

I always give up and and use the ethernet to ethernet, totally bypassing any router, for file transfers.

5. mrCide thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys, i feel a bit better. Guess I'll hold out a little on the time capsule purchase then.