new MBP, 1TB Time Capsule and Xbox 360 wireless connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottSyrNY, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

Anyone familiar with the necessary settings for these devices to talk with each other? I've been at it for a few hours now....

2. ScottSyrNY thread starter macrumors member

OK, finally got the MBP and Time Capsule to connect....thought this was suppose to be 'it just works'...yeah right. And I keep losing connection....what's the deal?

Now, my Xbox 360 finds the Time Capsule wireless network and says its conected but when I enter in the WPA code it fails on the 'test Xbox Live connection'. Xbox Live support was useless for help. They said its the router. I'm totally new to the Mac (8 hrs) so I can barely find my way around.

Any ideas guys?

3. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Im from Syracuse too Scott so I will help you.

In the Mac peripherials Forum there is a thread basically stating that the Time Capsule and the Xbox 360 are incompatible at this point. looks like it is Microsoft's issue.

This stopped me from getting a TC

4. ScottSyrNY thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying...

incompatible?......beautiful, I spend all this cash and I can't make a simple wireless connection.....you've gotta be kidding me...:mad:

My MBP occasionally loses connection with TC...is this a known issue? I had a better wireless connection using my Dell 9100 Inspiron and MS router that I just disconnected.....and they are 4 yrs old. My Apple hardware is 8 hours old and suppose to be top of the line.

Next question: is it possible to reconnect my old MS router and have it run parallel with TC or will it interfere? The location of these devices and distance transmitting are identical.

Thanks again....

5. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

If it were me. i would sit them side by side and just connect the old router when you want to play Xbox Live......Until M$ gets off their ass and makes a fix...

6. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

I might be totally noobing on this , but even if you could wouldn't putting a wireless G device (xbox) make the TC run at G speed? I was gonna just leave my mbp on TC and let all the slow stuff use my old linksys G switch.

7. ScottSyrNY thread starter macrumors member

My 3k MBP & $499 TC (not including CS3 and other software) were delivered 11AM today. I've been working all day on setting it up, loading software and learning OSX. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine and I look forward to the Mac life style of 'it just works' but this first day has had it's moments of me scratching my head and mumbling wtf.

I'm using WPA for security....13 characters long. 2 other laptops w/XP connect and appear to stay connected w/no problems. They're not mine....I'm trying to distance myself from that pain in the a** nightmare of MS.

How do I assure myself that I have the latest software/firmware for TC and the wireless? I did run the 'update software' until there was nothing else to update and pretty sure there was an update (firmware?) for the TC that occurred at some point during my installs today. Where can I double check the firmware version for TC?

According to a thread in 'Mac Peripherals' a recommended solution is to buy a Linksys wireless n game adapter for $100. Doesn't seem right to have to do this. I would think this is a software issue or I wouldn't have posted in here.

If I was to reconnect my old router into the cable modem and use that just for xbox, would that in any way interfere with TC and 'n' speed with my MBP? Sure is cheaper.

Yes, there are 2 issues I'm having: xbox 360 can't connect wirelessly to TC and my MBP loses its connection with TC occasionally. There has to be someone that is knowledgeable about these types of issues.....isn't there?

Thanks for listening....

8. Samlowry macrumors newbie

I believe the complete version is:

"It should work, if not, go to the genius bar".

9. Live in 3D macrumors newbie

Here is what I did. I setup my network in a type of dual band mode so that my MBP would connect to the Time Capsule at full wide channel 802.11n speed, while other devices connected to an older wireless router (WRT54G) at g speed.

I connected my TC to the internet, then ran an ethernet cable from one of the ethernet out ports on the TC to the internet in port on the old wireless router. I then set the Time Capsule to broadcast in 802.11n 5ghz wide channel mode only and set the network name to "networkname n" on the TC and "networkname g" on the old router. Now I can connect my Xbox or iPhone to the network and it doesn't slow it down.

The main downside to this setup is that devices on one network don't talk to devices on the other one, but it will solve the problem you are having and allow you to take both your xbox and MBP online wirelessly at the same time while letting your TC backups transfer at max speed. You might have to tweak the firewall settings on the old router since it is behind the Time Capsules firewall.

I do know that there is a way to set up the old router to allow devices to talk to each other across routers, but I couldn't figure it out and it wasn't that important to me.

10. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

I am pretty sure that would be the wireless receiver that you plug into the xBox. This might be a stupid question but let me just be sure. You have definitely played in Live before, correct? The xBox does not have a built in receiver, so you must either buy one, or hardwire directly to your router via CAT 5 (ethernet) cable.

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

that's why i use a PS3:D
    seriously, i had connection problems with my newly purchased MBP as well..
    i'm using a netgear rangemax N MIMO that i have purchased last dec 07..
    all the windows PC, laptop and PS3 are connection just fine..

here are my suggestions.. they FIXED my situation.

1. use your MBP outside like starbucks, public library just to check if the connection problem is within the MBP or the router itself.

2. upgrade the firmware of your router using a wired.. not wireless connection.. ( this solved my problem and saved me a trip to the genius bar)

3.if all else fail, or if at number 1 you're still getting "dropped" then have your MBP checked, problem might be at the wireless card:)

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Apparently this is a common misconception. While it is true having wireless devices on one router of varying speeds, (B,G,N etc.) will cause the overall throughput to be slightly slower. (The router has to do some extra work here and switch back and fourth between protocols etc.)

However, Having G devices on an N router, does not throttle eveything back to G speeds. The real result will be somewhere between maximum G speed and the average speed you are getting from a N network alone.

So, the fastest solution will always be a pure network of the highest speed devices, but not having that will not greatly handicap you.

I think this was a rumor started by some marketing guy at a network router company, to get everyone to upgrade their equipment every two years :)