New MBP 2.16 SuperDrive glitch: Send it back? Upgrade to 8X?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by avincent52, Nov 9, 2007.

1. avincent52 macrumors regular

Good People
    The good news: I got my refurbed 15" MacBook Pro 2.16/120/6x Super Drive yesterday, purchased with your help, and the machine is great, a really elegant upgrade from my G3 ibook.

The bad news: After I did the Leopard upgrade, I tried to rip a few CDs with the 6x SuperDrive. In a dozen discs, three times the drive ground to a halt, and Itunes locked up so badly that I had to Force Quit the app several times to get it to let go of the disc. Not good. I've used Itunes on my G4 imac and my G3 ibook, and I can't ever remember having to force quit it.

My quandary: Do I send the machine back now as DOB? Do I ask to have the drive fixed under Applecare instead? The machine works fine otherwise.

If I do send it back, do I get another 2.16 with a 6X drive? Or do I go for a 2.2 with the 8X drive for about $200 more (refurb) or $300 more (edu discount)?

The real question: Were there widespread problems with the 6X drives? Should I expect that an 8X drive will be more robust?

best
    Allen

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

3. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Pressure
    Thanks for the fast reply. Just to make it clear, I'm not flipping out about this, although I am a bit annoyed about the time spent updating and transferring data.
    My question is really whether the 6X drive is more trouble prone than the 8X.
    best
    Allen