New MBP (2.4) 15" Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfettish, Nov 5, 2008.

1. macfettish macrumors newbie

Just got back from a nightmare commute home (1hr +). My MBP was in a padded insert, part of a Crumpler Belly rucksack. I took the machine out and it was red hot! I mean seriously, uncomfortable to touch, hot! Both fans were whirling like crazy and it wouldn't wake up (had been shut and in sleep mode).

Now, I used to transport all the time my previous MBP (early 2008 Penryn 2.4) in the same manner without it getting more than a little warm.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Is it likely that this new machine is faulty? Would appreciate any advice...

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Most likely your machine woke up in your backpack, then it'll get really hot too. you might want to investigate what could have woke up your laptop. maybe check console to see what happened.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

One cause of wake up that took me awhile to troubleshoot was Bluetooth.

4. macfettish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Could well be a wake up issue. Bluetooth was off. Not sure how to check the system log, nor what to look for.

One thing that did come to mind, however, was that the rucksack was sitting upright. Could it be that the screen came open sufficiently to wake it up? Perhaps this is linked to the looser hinge on the new model?

Now having problems with the screen flickering. Not overly dramatic, but it's like the LED backlight is flickering between dim and bright.

Weird. Might need to return this thing...