New MBP 2.4 vs New 2.2...worth $300?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrafton, Mar 20, 2008.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Hey - trying to decide between the new Penryn (I think) Macbook Pro vs the previous model . . .other than processor and multi-touch pad there is also an 80GB disk difference. . .

So. . .worth the $300 in your opinion? If so (or not), why?

Thanks
    Adam

2. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I would say it is worth the extra money.
    For me i noticed a significant difference between the 2.4 and 2.6.
    Besides that the extra power, the extra disk space will come in very handy i'm sure. That's basically my entire iTunes library file size!
    The multi touch is a non feature in my opinion, personally I don't really like it, doesn't work smoothly enough yet to be worth any extra money.

3. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Get the Penryn. I have had both.

Multi - Larger HD - Double the Vram (This is a HUGE benefit) - and WAY cooler.

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Well, I have no experience with the Merom models since this is my first MBP, but reports are that the Penryns should run cooler and the fans shouldn't be as active.

Multitouch is pretty sweet, I will say that. I just can't wait for it to get integrated into Firefox.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm in the same boat. $1649 is very temping.

But, for just a little more you get Penryn and multitouch. Cooler & 'The Future'.

The Penryn base is just as good as the Merom mid-range (except for the 1mb Cache difference, which looks to make very little real difference in most places).

Have the newer model.

Peace of mind.

Definitely worth the small premium, even a better deal if you are a student and only have to spend $1799.