New MBP 2.4ghz Nvidia 256mb PROBLEMS Flicker with 30" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shahrum, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Shahrum macrumors newbie

I just got my new MacBook Pro 2.4ghz with 256mb nvidia card. I also upgraded RAM to 4gb ::drools::

[​IMG]

I also picked up a 30" cinema display hd at the same time. I've gotta say... I was absolutely in love... until I noticed that the darker (mostly black) portions of the screen would random flicker with static lines. I thought that maybe it could be static from my speakers, so I unplugged them and move them away. Still the problem was there.

I changed outlets and everything. I even plugged the cinema display into an entire separate outlet from the Macbook pro. Same issue...

So I returned the cinema display and bought a new one... And guess what... SAME problem!

This weekend I'll try plugging in a different LCD to my macbook pro to see if it's something wrong with the notebook. I think I've fully eliminated electrical interference since I've turned and unplugged every device except the laptop & monitor and it still happens.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide. TechTool Deluxe tests passed for everything including vram.

[​IMG]

2. shoe11 macrumors member

3. Shahrum thread starter macrumors newbie

According to page 27 (near bottom), another new 2.4ghz MBP purchasee is seeing the same issue...

Hopefully this means the nvidia drivers that Apple shipped on these 2.4ghz MBP's will soon be fixed!

4. chipchen macrumors 6502

I've got a 2.33 MBP. Wanna trade? :D

5. shoe11 macrumors member

This issue has been going on for years now. I've been interested in this thread for some time as I'm planning to pick up a 30" ACD myself. Speculation has gone from the ACD cable to sleeping the monitor to the video drivers to the 60hz refresh rate as the root cause of the issue. I believe that it's video driver related as well, but for some reason Apple has not been able to 100% resolve the issue. We can always hope.

~shoe

6. Shahrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Aside from the "better" video card and the fact that I can uselessly use 4gb of RAM... I totally would trade back for a 2.33 :p

7. roblin macrumors regular

im gonna buy a 17" SR MBP which i want to use for my ACD 30". will i have problems?

8. shoe11 macrumors member

Same question as I have with my Mac Pro. Although I wouldn't go as far as calling this issue "problems". To me it seems just like more of a nuisance than anything else.

Biggest concern to me is the length of time this has been an issue and the fact that Apple hasn't seen fit to do anything to correct it as yet.

~shoe

9. Shahrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Without having actually replaced my 15" SR MBP with *another new* 15" SR MBP, I can almost guarantee you that you WILL have the same problem.

I highly doubt it's a defective MBP unit but rather maybe a bad video card or issues with the drivers (most likely drivers). The 17" SR and 2.4ghz 15" SR both use the same 256mb Nvidia graphics adapter which seems to be the source of these issues.

Perhaps this would occur no matter what make of display you're using (external display). It should be noticed that the flicker does NOT occur on the built-in LED backlit display -- ONLY on external displays.

10. valiar macrumors regular

I had the same flicker problem - on my old G5 PowerMac with a couple of ViewSonic monitors.
    The problem was with the monitors, not with the video card on the Mac in my case... And I suspect it is the ACD, not the MBP.
    Try a different computer with it and see what happens...