New MBP 2.6Ghz problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiz561, Nov 30, 2007.

1. wiz561 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I received my new macbook pro 2.6ghz last week...and I have to say that I really don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it. I'm going to the genius bar tomorrow, but I'd like to get some additional information from people here to see if I'm crazy or if this is normal.

1) The Trackpad. When I got it, it was flush with the wrist-rests. My gf pushed down on it and it then recessed it...but I still can't get the hang of it. Mind you, I've been using them on other mbp's and a powerbook for the past three to four years....but it just seems to be....well, not very accurate. I don't know if it's the trackpad or a setting I have in the configs. I tried to adjust them...but it just doesn't like me. I also checked the battery for a bulge, no bulge.

2) The DVD drive. My other MBP made a nice 'solid' noise when it woke from sleep. This one makes a different noise, then the 'solid' noise. When I use the drive, it sounds fine. But when I eject a disc, that's when I hear the strange noise again. Plus, it seems like you have to put a disc in 3/4's of the way in before it grabs it. With my old MBP, I could put it in about a 1/4 of the way in and it took it.

There was also an issue with me wondering if I got a glossy display instead of matte...but now that I've been using it for awhile, I think it is a matte display. The keyboard also seems a little different..but I think i'm getting use to that.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

1st sounds like your preference, not broken. 2nd is how it should be, nothing wrong with it in my opinion... it happens to mine.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

2. non issue unless you cant read CD/DVDs or start churning out constant coasters. My drive pretty much requires you to push the disc in all the way (3/4) until it takes it up. Its picky on burning media but it reads fine.

If its a 15" then the matte screen is a tad more glossier than say, a matte screen of a Gen 2 MBP. My friend's is the same way.

4. wiz561 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thank you all very much for the information. You saved me a trip to the applestore in the midst of crazy holiday shoppers.

I think you are correct and it's just me being crazy! :D My old MBP was my old work's one, so I had to give it back. It was a 15". I got the new 15" MBP, and you are probably just right about the screen. I was comparing it to the old one. I've seen the glossies and remember me not liking them because of the glare. This one...looks a little glossy, but thank you so much for the comparison to the old one.

After reading this, I have decided to keep it for another week or so and see how I adjust to it. I think I finally got the tracking speed how it use to be. And I really think that the mbp is just new so there's not a lot of grease yet on the trackpad and keys. lol...

Thank you again for all the great information.