NEW MBP 2008 -- slow HD speed (read speed)...reinstall leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jho86, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jho86 macrumors newbie

I got the late 08 MBP 2.4GHZ with 2GB Ram and 250GB 7200RPM HD...

I've noticed that it may take 2-3 second delay usually when I am using FINDER to look for files such as Document --> files or Pictures -> files...

Compared to my older MacBook with the 5400RPM drive, the MB's file read speed seems faster with almost no delay...

Does any1 know what the issue could be? Should I just reinstall Leopard?
    My new MBP has almost nothing installed except ITUNES / Firefox / MSN ....

2. Jatku macrumors member

I had the same exact problem, and some folders took 4-5 sec to show anything. It did work itself out though, it might just take osx a little while to index stuff. I also ran iTool, one of those free utility programs, so that may have helped too. Now everything opens pretty much instantaneously.

3. JayKay321 macrumors member

I have the same computer as the OP, and basically all my folders take 4-5 seconds to show anything. I literally JUST got this computer and have NOTHING additional installed.

Anyone else?

4. jho86 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll try running iTool..
    this is pissing when i see my older MB display index files faster than the new MBP :mad:

5. JayKay321 macrumors member

Well, just exchanged my mbp for another (defective one had trackpad issues), and this one appears to be faster (knock on wood). The contents of the folders don't take so long to appear.

6. Jatku macrumors member

Yeah I have the late 08 model w/ 7200 rpm HDD too, except w 2.53 processor. I had nothing additional installed, and it was as slow as yours. My computer sped up after a couple days of use, so I wouldn't worry too much.