New MBP 2010 Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Roughly what should my son expect for just some iTunes and Web Browsing, will he really see near 10 hours of use on a single charge? Very light user but we just bought this one Saturday so maybe battery needs some breakin, not sure.

2. jlluna macrumors 6502

I have a macbook pro 15' 2.4 i5, And i am getting about 4.5 hours on mine. Brightness set to max and internet browsing.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

theres your problem.

I go to school for 8 hours and come home with a 20% charge left.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

why do people see the need to set brightness to max? I set it to two bars and my two year old computer lasts 4 hours and thirty minutes.

5. Moomba macrumors regular

With brightness set to a moderately low level by default (but with dynamic lighting enabled) and the keyboard backlight set at 1-2 notches from the bottom I typically get right at 5.5-6 hours.

6. mechamac macrumors regular

I've got the 2010 13" MBP, and I get 10 hours on a charge...only if the screen is set to half brightness or less and I'm doing light Web browsing while a word processing file is open. You should be able to work that way for about 10 hours, too. Doing more will result in a shorter, but still very generous, battery life––something closer to 7ish hours with a brighter screen, frequent email checking, iTunes use, etc. It all depends.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

8. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Also you could try calibrating the battery again.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

Try that, i do it once a month or so and it might be me imagining it but the battery is definitely more efficient.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Once I calibrated the battery twice and in said something around 7-8 hours at a load that usually only gives me about 5 hours. It is really weird. Display brightness makes not such a big difference.
    The weird thing is I got only a few times 9W at idle or less with lower birghtness or 10W with more than half brightness. 97% of the time doing the very same thing opening the same or even less or no Application at all it consumes 12-13W with the same brightness settings.
    It is some Kernel task that is using the energy ant it is rarely not doing so. I thought I understood how it works but I really don't understand anything anymore. My guess is that if you install a little bit too many apps or one driver that logs too much or whatever you mess up your batterylife and are where all the usual Windows Notebooks end up too at around 4-6h depending on display brightness.
    A TimelineX with the similar config and Windows 7 last about as long per Wh. They do last longer but they have a stronger battery too than a 15" MBP.
    I don't know how Anandtech gets his great batterylife but as soon as you use your Notebook a little and install some useful stuff that is not some official Apple software you end up getting the same battery life as a Windows 7 Notebook with decent drivers. It is still good but I really wish there was some way to find the bad boys and kill them. But it has to be some Kernel level driver because everything else is idle.
    My harddrive is set to shut down after 3 min and it never actually does. I would like to kill every and all logs on battery, which would make the harddrive shutdown and save about 1 W.

10. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I don't think 10 hours is attainable without some severe cutbacks on how you would normally use the computer. 6 to 7 is very realistic. Note that Apple now claims to be using a more conservative rating system with their very newest models. This implies that the 10 hours is not necessarily a real world figure.

11. webcrush, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

webcrush macrumors regular

I had an '10 MBP 15" and usually I'd get 2-3 hours out of it. Maybe its the Fusion VM sucking it up. Or all the apps.

12. joeldadrummer macrumors newbie

I've never got more than 3-4 hours on my 2.66 i7. How they came up with 8 hour battery life I'll never know.

13. lickitysplit macrumors regular

How do you only get 3-4 hours on yours? Mine lasts a solid 6-8 when web browsing/ word processing.

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

With usual browsing (even flash enable) I get 8 on my 13 MBP. One day I had to write a paper and I did not get on the internet at all, I got about 10 1/2.

15. skunnykart macrumors regular

most sensible comment i have ever read on this topic of battery life.

when you look at your battery monitor you might even see crazy numbers like 13hours left. i sometimes get this after fully charging my 2010 13inch mbp

BUT in real life usage i have never managed more than 7 hours even with the screen brightness on low and just doing very simple tasks.

16. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In discussing battery life, it's important to distinguish between estimated life as indicated by iStat Pro, iStat Menus or coconutBattery, and actual time until the MBP shuts down. The estimate will change from minute to minute, based on changes to the power demands of your system. Calibrating will make the estimated time more accurate, but will not extend or shorten the time you get from a charge.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

18. webcrush macrumors regular

I think to achieve longer numbers you need to have Wifi turned off as well. I'm connected all the time so I imagine that'll eat up battery.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The numbers that Apple posted were using WiFi.

20. Muscle macrumors regular

my i7 2.66 consistently gets around 5~6 hours from a full charge, running web browsers, adium, skype, MS office apps, etc.

21. qawes macrumors 6502

qawes

Yeah, on youtube those 10 hours changed to 2 and a half, on a 13'' 2010 MBP.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

God, I wish. Mine is more like 7.5 (same computer, brightness to half, using Safari and word mainly. Only difference is using the backlit keyboard usually with brightness to very low but you wouldn't think the backlight on very low would eat that much power). Then again, my battery has never been more than 98% full capacity and is already at 93% according to coconut battery and istat.

23. joeldadrummer macrumors newbie

I've definitely reset/calibrated the battery before.
    I dunno. Maybe I got a bad battery? If I watch a movie it's almost gone by the end of the movie. But it checks up fine in 'power' under system profiler. Really I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours at all just surfing the web or anything. granted I always have the brightness set to full, but I prefer it that way.

I am quite unsure how they came up with 8 hours. My old 2.4ghz santa rosa MBP got the exact same real life battery usage.

24. Muscle macrumors regular

I think theres your problem. Try setting the brightness to 50% and the keyboard backlight to 1 or 2 notches. You will see an improvement.

25. mark28, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

mark28 macrumors 68000

If I set the brighness to 1 bar and the backlight keyboard off, I can get close to 9 hours on the 15" i5 when doing surfing on the internet and iTunes ( no flash ofcourse ).

With the Anti-Glare screen, 1 bar of brightness is still good, on the normal screen it's not possible however :)

edit: I don't know how Apple managed to get 9 hours of battery with 50% brightness, mine won't do it. Probably same story for the 13" MBP, that you'll only get 10 hours if you set brightness at 1 bar and keyboards light off.