Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hello

I am really frustrated with this issue. I had no idea that the Macs were having so much problems with SSDs. I just bought a 13" MBP and separately bought RAM to upgrade it and a Corsair F120 SSD. What I found is that the MBP cannot wake from deep sleep (hibernation), it just freezes with an error, then at restart I get a kernel panic error. The machine works great in everything else. When I read the forums there appear to be hundreds of posts about problems with SSDs installed on Macs.

The SSD came new with firmware 2.0 so there is nothing newer to install.

I will be upgrading to Lion when it comes out but this situation really sucks. The same F120 works great on another machine with Windows 7, no hibernation problems there.

I appreciate any light you can give me on this.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Strange i can't say i've had any sleep issues but then again i don't use deep sleep anymore...

ELA2

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
In doing my research on SSDs, your current problem was my worst nightmare. Thats why I stuck with the Apple SSD. Do let us know how you resolve this problem.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Just buy sandforce driven SSDs. The fastests, don't need trimm and now they are all fixed for the hibernation problem.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Hello

I am really frustrated with this issue. I had no idea that the Macs were having so much problems with SSDs. I just bought a 13" MBP and separately bought RAM to upgrade it and a Corsair F120 SSD. What I found is that the MBP cannot wake from deep sleep (hibernation), it just freezes with an error, then at restart I get a kernel panic error. The machine works great in everything else. When I read the forums there appear to be hundreds of posts about problems with SSDs installed on Macs.

The SSD came new with firmware 2.0 so there is nothing newer to install.

I will be upgrading to Lion when it comes out but this situation really sucks. The same F120 works great on another machine with Windows 7, no hibernation problems there.

I appreciate any light you can give me on this.

Thanks a lot.

I've had very good luck with OCZ and a few others.

The link below lists the brands of SSD's that will work fine with your MBP.

I'm on my third install I did two 2010's and my new 2011 that finally came back today. They are all fast, stable and quiet.

http://goo.gl/Smn4D

Good Luck

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Just buy sandforce driven SSDs. The fastests, don't need trimm and now they are all fixed for the hibernation problem.

Yes, as said before the F120 is Sandforce driven.
So no solutions for this? The worst is that no one can say that Lion is going to fix this issue. Really bad from Apple IMO.

entropy1980

macrumors regular
May 14, 2003
Canyon Country, CA
Yes, as said before the F120 is Sandforce driven.
So no solutions for this? The worst is that no one can say that Lion is going to fix this issue. Really bad from Apple IMO.

According to Corsair's forums there is a firmware update that will address the issue coming soon it's being validated... although I think saw you get that answer on that forum as well....

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Not sure if this will help, but...

I put a Samsung 470 SSD in my 2011 MBP 13. Since it was new, I didn't really have any data to move. I put the drive in and then used Disk Utility to partition it as a GUID with one volume. I then used the OSX install discs and put the operating system in. It seems to be working perfectly. I did also install the Trim hack and it shows that it is enabled. Good luck.

Also, put the original RAM back in and see if everything is normal, then march on.

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Why not turn off hibernation until the firmware issue gets sorted out?
Use the Terminal application, and the pmset command:
pmset -g (will list all the current power settings/device settings)
man pmset (Shows all of the manual for the peset -a command)

1. set hibernate mode to 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
hibernationmode 0 is normal sleep, kept in ram nothing written to hdd
hibernationmode 3 is safe sleep, kept and loaded from ram, written to hdd in case of power loss
hibernationmode 25 is full hibernation, memory is written to hdd and then ram is powered off
Manual says mode 1 (and 5) are "not recommended"
--------------------------------
2. delete the unnecessary sleep file to regain disk space equal to memory (saves the same amount of disk space as your RAM, eg. 8 GBs), since hibernate is disabled

if you want to reclaim the space the hibernate file takes up (valuable on an SSD), you can use the Go to folder menu for that. The file is found in the /var/vm/ folder, and is named sleepimage. Simply delete that file, after a reboot. Or use this:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepfile
:cool:

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
You have to shut off hibernation - or simply prevent the computer from going to sleep, even on battery (you can still close the lid). You just have to be mindful of not letting the battery die completely.

I love my Mercury SSD; the hibernation issue is a really minor trade-off. The perfomance of the SSD is amazing.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Have you thought of switching back to the original RAM and see if the problem still exist? You changed both at the same time so the logical thing to do is eliminate one of the modifications to see if the issue is resolved.

Bad memory can cause sleep problems as well.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Solved :)

Problem solved with he latest firmware update from Corsair made available early this year.

They took their time but at least they delivered a fix.

Updated from MBP without needing to mount the disk on a PC, but you need a Windows LiveCD for this and some changes in the partitions.

Go to Corsair forums to read more about updating the hard disk from a Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.