New MBP 2011 SSD Question??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RayBarone, Feb 28, 2011.

1. RayBarone macrumors newbie

RayBarone

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows what SSD that apple are using in the new MBP.

I have just pulled the trigger on a 2.7 i7 with 8gb ram and 256 ssd.

Be interesting to know what SSD's they use.

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are several threads asking this exactly same question. AFAIK no one has received a BTO MBP yet so we don't know yet. I heard someone saying that they should start arriving on Wednesday.

3. Jaimi macrumors regular

Wouldn't those all be CTO, not BTO? Anyway, I plan on opening mine up on wednesday also (to rip out the optical), if I remember, I'll post here the model of the SSD.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

CTO - Configure to order
    BTO - Build to order

Same things.

5. Jaimi macrumors regular

Not really, but then I'm in an industry where that matters. BTO is a standard configuration that is built when ordered. CTO is a non-standard configuration (like adding the SSD and upgrading the screen).

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's still built when ordered, so the word BTO works as well. Both words are used but at least here, I see BTO much more often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_to_order

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Kind of a nitpicky thing to bring up in a forum isn't it? As far as I know, the general internet has been using CTO and BTO interchangeably for years now. It's nice to know they actually imply different things, but to anyone not in the industry, and for all intents and purposes, they're the same.

8. dta macrumors newbie

I am very curious about this - will base my purchase on whether the Apple's SSD is among the better ones in the market, because its 128 and 256 GB pricing seems very competitive.

9. Jaimi macrumors regular

Maybe it's nitpicky. Ok, it is nitpicky. But I'm not the only one who makes the distinction - here is my order notification from Apple:

Items in Your Shipment

MBP 15.4/CTO1
    Part Number: Z0M1

With the following configuration:
    •PROCESSOR 065-0092 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    •MEMORY 065-0093 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    •HARD DRIVE 065-0099 256GB Solid State Drive
    •OPTICAL DRIVE 065-0102 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
    •DISPLAY 065-0104 MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

10. axu539, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

axu539 macrumors 6502a

Currently, only Apple's SSDs have TRIM support in Lion. Throw in the competitive pricing, and I'm sold. I ordered a 128 GB SSD from Apple in my MBP purely because of value. If Lion comes out and other SSDs are supported, I'll simply sell the Apple SSD.

I'm guessing Apple is sticking with the Samsung and Toshiba SSDs. I'd much prefer Toshiba due to the better garbage collection, but maybe Apple has some tweaked firmware in all the SSDs they use. Either way, we'll see within a week.

11. jk6959 macrumors newbie

I've ordered the 128gb drive as it was only circa £60 to add on, will just have to be efficient with storage.

The SSD used in 2009 models doesn't sound that exciting, I'm hoping 2 years on they're using something newer. Considering SSD drives are approaching $1:1gb for some 128gb models, I'd assume this is one of them, maybe a Kingstone.

Anyone have any word on the SSDs used and their performance, would be greatly appreciated. Mine is estimated to arrive 10th-15th March, will be slowest fortnight of my life...