New MBP 8GB RAM or 4GB RAM??? help me out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by millertalent, Apr 13, 2010.

1. millertalent macrumors newbie

Hey, it says I'm a newbie, but I've actually been stalking this website religiously since before Christmas so find out when the new MBPs would be coming out. So now that they are here I cant decide if it is worth the extra $400 for 8GB of RAM.
    Here's my situation...
    I am about to start university in the fall and will be using this computer for the next 4 years. I am studying business specializing in marketing and finance/admin.
    I am constantly on my computer and usually have multiple web browsers, itunes, msn, games, and whatever else opened at the same time.

Overall, I'm just wondering should i pay the extra money and future proof my computer with 8GB of RAM???

2. TheRekz macrumors regular

It's not really worthed for the things that you do, but an SSD!

3. ryanzec macrumors member

You don't need to buy the extra ram right now to future proof as you can (or at least with the older models) upgrade the ram and HDD yourself pretty easily.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy the RAM from 3rd party. 4GB modules are coming down all the time so if you wait, you can get 2x4GB for ~300$ and sell the old RAM for ~70$

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

^ What he said. If you give Apple $400.00 for 8 gigs of RAM you are foolish. All of Apple's upgrade pricing is ridiculously high.

6. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

i would just go with the 4gb of ram. Apple is too pricy