new MBP acting really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thenewguy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a MBP C2D, purchased in November, and reformatted in January for other reasons.

it's 2.33 ghz, 2gb mem, highest video card, etc.

The problem I'm having is slowness - specifically in this scenario: I've been working on a comic recently and have been using Comic Life, just for fun. So I usually ahve Photoshop (CS3), Comic Life, Word, and Firefox (with 6 or 7 tabs) open. I use MenuMeters, and I always have at LEAST 500mb of RAM free. And yet, after about an hour of working like this my computer will get into a state where switching between tabs in Firefox takes a good 2 seconds, or the machine pinwheels when trying to save something, etc. The whole machine gets totally bogged down, it feels like I'm using a 5 year old system. When I check ActivityMonitor, there is almost never any program using lots of CPU Cycles.

The "background" stuff I'm running: Quicksilver (no extensions), Growl, MenuMeters, Sophos Antivirus

Any ideas? I use Onyx to clean caches and repair permissions and all of that, but it doesn't help.

Thanks all.

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm not familiar with Growl or MenuMeters, so I don't know what they do, but the AntiVirus software would be the first place I would check. Turn it off and see if things improve.

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

It's a mac, get rid of the antivirus software.

4. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

Yes, antivirus sofware can slow the system down...