Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I just noticed a discrepancy...

When looking under the "Tech Specs" of the new MBP (Aluminum), it shows the battery as a "50-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery". It also estimates battery life at 4.5 hours which, I assume, is the average battery length given the two video cards (9400 = 5h / 9600 = 4h).

However, when I looked up the replacement battery it shows the new MBP (Aluminum) model as taking a "60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery".
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB772LL/A?cid=MKT-MACBOOKPRO

So, which is it? Are the old batteries compatible with the new?

Atomic Ed

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I just noticed a discrepancy...

When looking under the "Tech Specs" of the new MBP (Aluminum), it shows the battery as a "50-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery". It also estimates battery life at 4.5 hours which, I assume, is the average battery length given the two video cards (9400 = 5h / 9600 = 4h).

However, when I looked up the replacement battery it shows the new MBP (Aluminum) model as taking a "60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery".
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB772LL/A?cid=MKT-MACBOOKPRO

So, which is it? Are the old batteries compatible with the new?

I may be wrong on this but I believe the 60 w-hr replacement battery is for the previous gen MBP and I don't think it will fit in the new model. If it would fit the new one it would be worthwhile to replace the smaller capacity one with it. Best to give Apple a call to verify it will fit first though as I don't think it will.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I may be wrong on this but I believe the 60 w-hr replacement battery is for the previous gen MBP and I don't think it will fit in the new model. If it would fit the new one it would be worthwhile to replace the smaller capacity one with it. Best to give Apple a call to verify it will fit first though as I don't think it will.

Yeah, I don't think so either, but I'm 100% sure that link is for the new MBP (it even has a picture). I'm really bummed out about this battery situation. If I knew battery performance would (potentially) be this low, I may have reconsidered my decision :(

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, I don't think so either, but I'm 100% sure that link is for the new MBP (it even has a picture). I'm really bummed out about this battery situation. If I knew battery performance would (potentially) be this low, I may have reconsidered my decision :(

if you wanna run everything under bootcamp it will probably be that low...

i bet that on leopard the battery life will be MUCH better.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if you wanna run everything under bootcamp it will probably be that low...

i bet that on leopard the battery life will be MUCH better.

I'm sure Leopard will improve battery life... but I'm not sure if it can add an additional 3 hours worth! :(

akashhhhh

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
windows cannot access both video cards. thats a limitation, ONLY mac os x can do it because its been specifically written for it.

There are Vista based notebooks that access two video cards, including the Vaio model which I think uses these exact same cards. I think it's just a driver issue.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'm sure Leopard will improve battery life... but I'm not sure if it can add an additional 3 hours worth! :(

it would HAVE to!! apple wouldnt lie (that much) about their battery life. they normally base their tests on web browsing with airport on and screen at half brightness.

maybe the vista/xp version under bootcamp clocks the GPU back up to speed or something, who knows what kind of crappy tests they have done on that website. (maybe the time is in minutes haha??)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.