NEW MBP and 802.1 N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Down3yDJdud3, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Down3yDJdud3 macrumors newbie

So the last mac I owned was a 400 MHz powerbook, so it's been awhile for me. I just picked up my baby, ehhm my MBP I mean and got home and set everything up. When I checked out my connection I noticed that it only listed my network adapter as 802.1 A/B/G ! So I checked out apple's site and sure enough there is some app listed for enabling N! I am really confused because I have a draft N router and that was one feature I was really stoked to get to use seeing my previous PC would not play nice with N.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this issue?

I actually downloaded a copy of it from pirate bay and I get an error saying my system does not meet the requirements!

Thanks for any help, I feel like a total NOOB to the Mac world! Tell you what, I am absolutely in love with it. Pictures just don't do it any justice, and even more frustrating is that the apple store only had one on display, the rest were last gen, so there was a line just to touch it! Crazy Ish!

2. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new MBP.

How old is your N router. There is a chance it is the variety before there was a standard and is not compatible with the card in the MBP.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

First off, you don't need the app.

Back in 06 they shipped Macbooks and Macbook Pros with N, but disabled, thats what the enabler is for.

Go to network utility in utilities in applications, it should list 802.11 a/b/g/n

You likely have a device connected to your router which is G, hence throttling down the N devices to G speed.

By the way are you actually transferring files over your network, you know wireless N doesn't make your Internet connection faster or anything?

4. Down3yDJdud3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dude I feel like a total tard. For some reason I was thinking it would give me a faster connection, but your right it's for file transfer..... right?

Yes I do have some other G devices connected so until I need to transfer some mega files via wi-fi I will leave everything alone!

Thanks for your guy's answer to a dumb question!