New MBP and ethernet ALREADY broken??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmbfan41, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

I bought a new macbook pro about a week and a half ago and it was working fine. All of a sudden my ethernet port stopped working or so it seems. it does not show up as active but the cables and connection are both good.

i tried using the assistant and diagnostic but nothing.

nor is the port damaged in any way.

could this just be a fluke or is it a software problem. i have parallels installed, that could mess with the network settings but it was working fine a couple days ago.

ny ideas? maybe reinstall osx?:

2. Atomic Dude macrumors newbie

Well that happened to me about couple months ago ....
    I Don't know about you, but i was messing about with the settings in the system prefrences>Network>Ethernet>Advanced>ethernet.:D.. Anyway i was in my room trying to connect my macbook to time capsule via ethernet and then i realised it was not working AT ALL not even saying 'connected' or anything. :eek:
    so i tried many attempts like unplugging and repalcing ethrnet wire etc.
    until i remembered i scerwed up the ethernet settings so what i did in the above prefrence^^^ instead of manual i picked automatic ... and like by magic it worked.

All im saying i had a similar prob. and is that maybe ur lil brother or something screwed up the setting and so u hav set it to automatic . PS i know what an idiot for doing that .. but FYI i didnt really care coz i use airport all the time.:)

Oh and it also might be parallels since i hav VMware Fusion but it only doesnt work ( on mac os) if its open. (becuz its reserving it for windows)

3. dmbfan41 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply but i already tried that and it didn't change anything unfortunately

4. vista.john macrumors regular

Try use a new cable or at other places that have ethernet connection. If it is hardware related, call apple or go to an apple retail store, they will take care of it fast... good luck!