New MBP and I feel LOST

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kashik, Mar 5, 2008.

1. kashik macrumors regular

Wow, really haven't used a Mac in yeeears. I feel really lost after coming from a PC.

Any essentials I should know? Alternative key clicks? Anything you regulars now take for granted?

Fire away, there's nothing too little to say. I don't know anything!:D

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Check out the mouse and keyboard settings in your apple menu (top left hand corner - system preferences) Make sure two fingers to right click and 2 finger scroll are enabled. They are quite possibly the most useful thing. IMO touching two fingers at the same time to right click is much easier then the PC's two physical buttons.

There are plenty of other cool gestures if you have one of the new ones too of course, but I suggest making sure those are on first.

Other then that look on the apple website for all the tutorials they have for switchers. Lots of useful stuff there. And... just remember, with OSX, things are generally just as easy as they seem - if not easier :)

3. ivicyrusivi macrumors newbie

well im kinda getting to grips with my baby but check out the settings under:

System Preferences> Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad

theres some nice little features (and videos so show them) that for some reason apple choose to disable as standard??!! go figure :)

enjoy m8!

EDIT: damn it ktbubster beat me to it :'(

4. kashik thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhhhhh much better, thanks! Was getting annoyed by holding a key and click the mouse button to get the second click.

5. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Apple (cmd) W and Apple (cmd) Q are your best friend for quick program exits, adium is the instant messenger of choice, with mercury messenger a great webcam client alternative. ADJUST THE SCREEN SETTINGS. Standard config of the LCD is horrible, but amazing once properly calibrated. Finally, ENJOY the new MBP, I couldn't live with out mine.

6. phatcat macrumors regular

i'm also new to the scene. go to apple.com and search for mac 101 for lessons. it helped me.

7. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

http://www.myfirstmac.com/

I've found this site pretty helpful so far for me, even though I don't have my MBP yet to try anything on. Ugh, this wait is dreadful.

Any ideas on how to properly calibrate? I'll do a search to supplement this question...wasn't sure if you had a tried-and-true method, mgacam2.

Ian

[EDIT]: This is one site I found - http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/. I saw there are a bunch of new threads up about calibration so I'll monitor those.

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Another thing to remember is that BootCamp and VMWare's Fusion or Parallels will allow you to run OS X and Windows at the same time (if you still need some of your Windows applications).

I've got Fusion (I've used VMWare products for years in both Windows and Linux), and so far I'm liking it.

9. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

10. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

Tricky switching sometimes. I bought my sisters a MB each for xmas and after a week of asking me questions they seemed to have settled in comfortably with their new toys. I tried teaching them to google for solutions as well; there is so much useful information out there for switchers.

My flatmate is less happy though and still does not seem to understand that when she looks for games/applications on the Internet she needs to look for mac specific ones. Her desktop is littered with .exe files :)

11. kashik thread starter macrumors regular

haha, the only games I need on my MBP is SupCom and the classic, Escape Velocity.

12. dothevampire macrumors newbie

dothevampire

I have to say after 24 hours with OSX I love it.

This is my first mac and I was dumbfounded when I downloaded Firefox and stared at the screen wondering how to install it!

I called up a friend and all he said was "Drag the Icon to the Applications folder."

COME ON! How awesome is that!? :)
    What else have I been missing!??!

13. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

click the green + key for window sizing and learn to love not having it go full screen. Use Spaces to organize by application types (set in Preferences). Don't try to run anti-virus and trust that it isn't necessary while using common sense.