New MBP and Logic Pro X, will it worK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProducerP, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ProducerP macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

New here to the Forums, but I hope to get to know you all, and post in other places as and when.

I've had my Macbook (Aluminium) since 2008, and have now purchased a MBP which is due to arrive Monday! Hurrah!!

Looking at wanting to get Logic Pro X on it, just wondered what your thoughts were about the spec of my MBP working with LPX.

13inch, 128GB Flash drive, 8GB ram and 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

Reckon it'll work okay?

I look forward to your responses, and discussing more things with you all! :)

2. ooans macrumors 6502

I found that with my late 2013 15" MBP running Logic Pro X in default ("retina mode") was not as responsive for me as I wanted. Zooming and panning with it was slower than it had been with my 2008 MBP running Logic Pro 9.

Running it in low resultion mode made it much quicker, but this didn't make me much happier. In the end I decided that I wanted my money back.

However, if you're not very picky about this kind of latency, you might be OK with Logic Pro X.

3. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

The spec itself is absolutely fine :) Depends how plug-in heavy your productions would be, but even if they were you've got the power in that machine to cope with them.

If things do slow down drastically, you can always freeze your most intensive tracks anyway.

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The only issue may be the SSD size if you download all the included loops and virtual instruments.

5. gochi macrumors 6502

that makes no sense….

6. ProducerP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your responses guys! Overall sounds like it'll work... In terms of loops and things I'll build those up as I go,

super looking forward to getting the new MBP, having had my MacBook since 08, it'll be a ruddy nice upgrade and change!

7. davidec macrumors regular

Sorry but if you're more interested in music production than fancy tech I would get a previous refurb with an i7 and a bigger SSD. Let me put it this way, my cMBP mid 2012 i7 2.6gHZ with two 1TB drives and 16 gig of ram allows me to score, produce and connect to anything, anywhere without needing anything but the machine itself.