New MBP and New Mac user questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

This is my first Mac computer. I recently purchased the MBP 15.4 inch w/ 512mb graphics card. So far I love this computer it is amazingly fast and much better than a windows machine. However, I have some questions about the aluminum enclosure...

First, I don't know if this is me being nit-picky, but the trackpad does not seem to be flush on all 4 corners, one side is down and one side is up a little higher. I might just be being paranoid, but after all this is a $2000+ machine.

Also, I noticed that the LED hinge is slightly closer to the body of the laptop on the right side. (The left side I can see what the hinge is on, the right side I cannot.) You can also notice a little bit when the lid is closed that it is closer to "flush" on the right side than left.

Just want to see if others have noticed this with the late 2008 MBP 15.4 inch and if this is normal to have, or if I should take it in and show the Apple store, or if I am just analyzing the machine too much. Thanks!

2. youthsport macrumors newbie

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If you tried to have these issues corrected, the Apple genius and Manager would likely laugh at you and proceed to tell you that the machine is "within specifications" meaning they realize it's imperfect but not enough to warrant a repair or replacement.

In the past with these types of issues, I have had much better luck taking pictures of the "defects" so they are clearly visible, calling Applecare and getting in touch with someone with a little bit of power to view the pictures.

It seems to me the primary reason most retail stores say "within spec" so often is because they must pay to send your repair in, and if the computer is working like it's supposed to and was not damaged during manufacture/shipping, most generally they will tell you it is not bad enough to need repaired.
    And from personal experience, I can tell you that I have developed far worse issues after repairs than I had before it was shipped to Apple. And they resolve problems very well, but you are still without your computer for days/weeks for their mistake. You just have to weigh whether it's worth the fuss to receive probably another imperfect machine.

5. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured that it is probably "within spec". It is really slight, but I am a perfectionist, so things like that bother me. Do you know anything about the trackpad being slightly misaligned? More than anything the computer working proper is my first priority (I have no pixels out, good dvd player, and good battery cover which seem to be the main issues I've read about.)

6. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm actually referring to a different issue. My issue is where the black part of the hinge meets the silver part of the body. Not the top of the screen hitting the body.

7. youthsport macrumors newbie

ah i just re-read it, my bad. good luck to you nonetheless.

8. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, have you noticed anything like this on yours? It is very slight, look on the left or right side and see if you can see what the black part is mounted on.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My trackpad is very uniform overall (maybe slightly shallow on the top right corner) but i never venture up that far. I can't speak to that personally. I can see your problem if it's a spot you frequent and constantly running your finger up on the edge.
    Yes I was pretty satisfied with my new machine, the only problems I have are crooked F keys, a speck of dust on the very edge of my LCD, somewhat loose hinge (which is touted as a "feature") and a clicking HD whenever I move the computer (that last one worries me to some degree) but I've suffered no functional problems from any of those issues and the computer is super quiet as well as feeling very solid while in use.

10. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you show me a picture of the speck of dust, I have read about this and would like to check my screen out. I feel as though the trackpad and hinge being a little off are not worth making a fuss about because I could end up with something worse. Also, do you know how to check which model screen the system is? LG vs other?

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Open system preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Open Profile -> Scroll to #13 and click.
    Model #: 9C84= LG
    9C85= Some chinese manufacturer.

Here is my dust speck. It looks like a dead pixel on first glance, but in 3d the spot moves depending on your viewing angle. If I tilt the display back to ~65 degrees, it disappears into the black edge, and I can see all pixels fully illuminated.
    [​IMG]

12. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the photo. Haven't noticed anything like that on mine so far. If you wouldn't mind could you take a upclose photo of your trackpad? Also, upclose of the right and left part of where the screen connects to the unibody? (where black meets silver) Just want to see for comparison to mine. Ill upload some pics of mine as soon as I can find my digital camera cable. Also, is one screen preferable to another?

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

At first, most people thought the 9c84 screens were better, but after testing realized the black level on those panels wasn't very good, so I think it's up in the air right now which panel is superior. I have the 84 and think it looks superb for my purposes (word, surfing, itunes, photoshop).
    I will update this post as soon as I get those pics for you.

14. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

I will post pics asap as well.

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I just made a Flickr set of all the pictures I've taken so far of my Unibody as well as the ones you requested (I think). There is a really good image of the crooked F keys in that set as well. Let me know what you think.

Drew

Edit: I tried to take a picture of the trackpad, but my macro is unable to focus at the distance close enough to properly show the difference. It's less than the thickness of a piece of paper different from the other 3 corners.

16. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Based of the Flickr set it looks like there is a little more space on between the silver and black on the right hinge than the left hinge when look at the MBP from the back with the lid closed. Would you say thats correct? If so, then thats the same as mine. If you get a chance could you also take a pic of the trackpad upclose? Thanks a bunch.

17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yes, the space isn't exactly even on both sides. Trackpad is too close to see in a picture.

18. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, seems like ours seem to be similar then. Did yours come with any scratches?

19. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

no scratches, but it did have a small "dent" over the headphone jack right on the top edge. It was around 1/4 inch wide and barely noticeable with no paint missing, so not a big deal.

20. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, i havent noticed any dents. After hearing people complain of scratches I went searching on my computer, and of course, I found a really small one. It is probably 1 mm on the bottom of the LCD lid (the back part) and you can only notice it if you have a light on and hold the computer to your face. So, I'm assuming stuff like this happens during the manufacturing process. I really need to stop looking for faults, if you do you will surely find them im starting to realize.

I'm still in search of my camera cables, wish the MBP came with a memory card reader then i wouldnt be in this dilemma. Anyway, I'm not sure that the minute scratch, slightly off center trackpad or having a gap on one side of the black hinge, merits going through the trouble of getting of getting a replacement, although I haven't transferred any files yet. I would just fear ending up with a machine that had a loose battery cover or dead pixels or faulty superdrive.

I mean I absolutely love the OS X operating system it is really a joy to be computing on this thing.

21. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I would recommend a USB multi-card reader. It's a great way to get around using proprietary cables or packing your camera around whenever you want to download pics.

22. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know how much they cost or any recommendations for one?

On another note I went to the apple store today to check out the floor model MBPs...almost all have trackpads off center a bit and the hinge showing more on one side than the other.

I don't think they would consider the scratch that is smaller than a "." a defect do you?

23. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I think the main thing that needs to be considered when looking at your Apple product is that no matter how much we pay for them, they're still assembled in a factory in China by who-knows how many people.

We pay for the components, research and development, and Apple's mark-up. They're never going to be perfect. I have a "classic" MBP and the screen of course wasn't flush. The backlights go wonky sometimes. But, you know what? It's amazing.

We pay $2000+ for its functionality and moderately good looks. Your $2000+ also paid for the development of my new toys. :)

24. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You can pick one up at Walmart for ~$10 and it will read SD, MMC, CF, and several others.

Yeah I think you might be getting a tad picky if you can only see the scratch in "certain lighting." nothing's going to be perfect. And chances are, if you have a visibly perfect machine, somewhere down the line one of the components will fail unexpectedly. Just Murphy's law.

25. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Ill prob head over there today. The only thing that concerns me about the gap between the hinge and the body is that it is possible to see a bit of the wires that connect to the LED screen. Do you think this should be a concern? Let me know if you can see them (at first I thought it was something stuck in there but then shined a flashlight on it and could see it going from the body to the screen)