New MBP and NO OSX Disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larswik, Jan 9, 2012.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

I just got my new MBP and as far as I can remember I would always install a fresh system on the computer to get rid of all the promo garbage and the stuff I do not need use like iMovie, photo booth and so on.

I saw that I need to download the system but is it still recommended to do a fresh install to remove all the junk?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I wouldn't worry about iMovie and apps like that except if you really need the extra space on your hard drive.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

unless you have problems with it - or as the previous post said really need to save the 5GB or so iLife takes up.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I like AppZapper for removing apps I don't use, it takes all related files with it so there's no crap left behind.

5. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

I know they add all the foreign languages and stuff. I found a way to to do it and create a DVD of your own but in involves re downloading your Loin installer from the App Store. This seems to not be an option for me.

But it also seem that all the demo software that use to come on the machines in not there any more.

Here's the link by the way.

http://www.hightechdad.com/2011/07/...-create-bootable-install-dvd-usb-thumb-drive/

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Theres an app to delete all the foreign languages.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

should work with lion

7. tyrell456 macrumors member

What "demo software" do you keep referring to? OS X is well known for NOT including all the bloatware most PC OEM's load up their machines with.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, on OS X that's called App Store :D

9. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

There's no demo/promo/bloatware on brand-new Macs. Maybe you are referring to software that you don't like or you don't need, which doesn't mean they're garbage.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike windows, OSX doesn't really install bloatware.

I'm with the OP however and I prefer wiping my system and installing only the components I want. That all changed with Lion. I purchased the USB thumb drive of Lion for MBP and did a clean install. I had no choices in selecting components I did or didn't want. Its the new world order with apple.

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Maybe because you stepped away from the Windows machines :)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppZapper does leave files/folders behind. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You generally can do a better job looking for files that an app has, then these applications. The problem is developers cannot be too aggressive in their algorithms or the application could remove files that it should, (see cleanmymac). By searching the /library ~/Library folders you can easily and quickly remove any cruft left behind. 99% of apps don't touch /Library but there are a handful

14. Jake99, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

Jake99 macrumors member

@ original post - There is no promo stuff or bloatware on a Mac. None of it is a trial version, etc. You must be confusing your Mac with a windows laptop. There are also not any stickers branding 15 things inside the PC, on the outside of your Mac as you usually get with a windows machine. All of the above runs counter to the core beliefs behind a Mac.

The stuff that is on your Mac, its actually useful applications that are well integrated.

You want a Mac with just a blank dock at the bottom? You don't want a calendar app, a way to manage photos and video, a pretty cool and easy to use email client? Also Apple is pretty good at keeping software from taking up a ton of disk space, unlike microsoft.

You delete photo booth, then what if you are in a situation with no other camera handy (or want a quick digital photo to email quickly) and want to snap a quick photo of something using your Mac's integrated camera? I have done that before in meetings, etc. Why would they install a camera on a Mac without giving you software to actually use it in a couple of different ways?

Its up to you if you want to wipe all of that stuff off your hard drive, but its not the same as what you get with windows PC.

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Not sure why you got down voted for that post, but thank you for the in-depth explanation! :)

16. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Do you mean that a new MBP no longer includes restore media?
    This is unacceptable. Not every computer user has major bandwidth, and possibly none, at all. Not even a bundled, burnable image file?

I can understand a cut rate PC manufacturer doing this, but these notebooks are nothing but almost identical hardware in a more elegant package, larger bragging rights, a $30. OS, boxed, costing twice the price.

Unbelievable.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It wasn't all that long ago that Apple bundled third-party apps: My 2006 machine included some sort of comic generation app and a 30-day trial of Office. I don't know when this practice stopped but the original poster is correct in that Macs used to include demos etc.

18. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

OS X does have restore media. It's in a partition on the drive. Press Command+R when you boot up.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

19. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Still need to be connected to internet. There isn't actually a copy of lion used to restore your system stored on the HD

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Garage band can take up a few gigs of space, and it's not intuative to remove (eg dragging garage band to the trash doesn't delete the loops).