New MBP and old Apple cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zoreke, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Zoreke macrumors member

Hi, I have a new MBP wiht thunderbolt connection, I have an old aluminum 20"cinema display (DVI)and I need an adaptor to use it.

Is thundebolt and mini display the same? all I need right now is to use my old screen with the new laptop.

Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

get the mini display port to dvi from either apple or monoprice. Either will work.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the port is the same; I think that it should just be plug and play...

EDIT: minidisplay port to DVI adaptor should work.

4. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

With regards to displays, they are both the same, yes. Apple will sell you a $30 adapter to go from Mini DisplayPort to DVI. Monoprice.com will sell you the same adapter for less.

5. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

adaptors are the biggest ripoffs. like best buy charging 50 for a hdmi cord

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I'd suggest staying away from Apple's own adapter, it's a short cable, dongle really, that forces you to plug a longer DVI cable into it to make it useable. DVI connectors are physically very large and heavy, the cables are thick and clumsy, using heavy-gauge wiring compared to more modern standards. It will make an ugly and unwieldy monitor connection.

Instead, look for a full-length adapter cable with mini displayport in one end and a DVI plug in the other. I have such a cable plugged into my '11 MBP and it works great. The passively powered signal conversion circuitry is entirely contained in the molded DVI plug, so it's physically no larger than any other DVI connector, and I get a thin, agile cord connection hooking up the two devices.

I'd give you the brand name, but it's sold as a no-name OEM cable, so that'd be pointless.