New MBP and portability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i0Nic, Oct 19, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I'm leaning towards a MBP over a macbook but I am worried about the portability. I currently own a white macbook that I take to uni all the time, but finishing uni this year I won't be taking it out with me often anymore. I would like a MBP for the faster GPU for playing some games.

I still question the portability of the 15" MBP, to people that own the new or previous MBP's, how is it for portability? Considering I wouldn't be taking it out of the house too often, maybe to work sometimes, the odd plane trip and to friend's houses.

2. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

If you had the previous gen white macbook the new mbp is only .5 pounds heavier and as you won't be taking it out much I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

I had the same predicament, as I have no car I use to walk with my macbook for an hour and a half a day and being a tiny women I did struggle near the end of my journey. So when deciding on the new mb or mbp I was torn but decided on the mbp. I am no longer a student and get a lift to work and will mostly be using it around the house so I figured I could manager for the odd journey.

Good luck with your decision!

3. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Get a decent backpack with a protective laptop pocket and you won't even notice the difference. With the shoulder sling bags you notice the strain especially from the counterbalancing you need to do (same with any decent sized laptop) but putting it in a backpack just makes it feel like carrying an extra book.
    The brands of bags probably vary region to region but I'm sure people can suggest some good ones available where you are.

Kane.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with the suggestion of Kane.Elson's about investing in a god quality backpack for yourself. Personally, I'd recommend the MBP, it's a superb machine (I have one and love it). Re portability, I'd argue that it really only becomes a serious issue with the 17" MBP, the 15" MBP is perfectly portable.
    Cheers and good luck