New MBP and Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LazerFace, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LazerFace, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

LazerFace macrumors newbie

Hello! As almost everyone in this forum I will be eagerly awaiting the release of the new MacBook Pro. It is also common knowledge that Apple RAM upgrade are grossly overpriced; however I do intend to max out the RAM on my machine relatively soon after my purchase. I haven't bought a MacBook since the G4 Titanium, so my question for all you pros is: How long after a release can one expect to hear about compatible 3rd party RAM options? As I understand it, different types of RAM (types/brands) range in performance. Is this true, or is RAM pretty much a commodity these day? Obviously there are certain specifications that need to be met; ie. number of pins, frequency, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. r3dm4lcz macrumors member

It's just a commodity. I'd be extremely surprised if websites like Crucial didn't have compatible RAM sticks on the day of release. To make it easy for non-techs, Crucial usually have a page dedicated to each MacBook variant and match the RAM identically. When you consider processing power and the amount of RAM these days, I wouldn't worry too much about the intrinsics of memory.

3. LazerFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great! So barring Apple doing anything crazy with the RAM in the new machines, the sticks that are currently on the market today should work.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

No, apple orders it Ram from manufacturers so compatible units will be out there

5. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I would see it was very very very very unlikely that they would use any type of proprietary memory. That would just cost them a ton of money before they even made any of it back. So yes, the memory on the market today will still work.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It'll be off the shelf DDR3, same as the current generation. No problems with availability.

7. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

As long as it isn't soldered on, there will be compatible memory. :eek:

8. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

Is it me (sry... Random...) is OWC ram pricier than other brands like ram sold from newegg like corsair and Kingston...?

Reason for that?