New MBP and SMCFanControl

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukin, Nov 18, 2008.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Hello all, thanks in advance for help.

As commonly suggested around here, I installed SMCFanControl (version 2.1.3.1). My fan speeds were around 2000 rpm at all times before SMCFC. After installing it, the min is always 4000 rpm. I cannot set the min back to 2000 rpm for when my computer isn't doing intensive applications.

I did some searching around and saw to uninstall, reset SMC, and reinstall. Well, I deleted SMCFC and reset the SMC. My fans were back to 2000 at all times. I installed SMCFC again and the min on the slider is, again, 4000. Now the fans are always at 4000.

How can I make SMCFC let my fans run at 2000! I love SMCFC for when my temperatures get really hot when doing intensive apps, but not when doing nothing! I'm getting a bit frustrated!

Thanks

2. jho86 macrumors newbie

what the?? I thot SMC Fan Controller can not alter fan speeds on new MBP yet :confused:

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Maybe that's why they stick at 4000rpm minimum...

To the OP, wait for SMC Fan Control to update to include the new MB/Ps into the compatibility list.

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

5. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses...

If I leave it at 4000 rpm for now until it is updated, is there any risk with running them that fast for a period of time? I would guess they would be ok but just want a few more opinions. Thanks. (I think max is 6000)

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Apart from excess motor usage i doubt any harm would come of it

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To be honest, it'll probably do it good, as your CPU etc will run much cooler now...

8. jamestemroot macrumors member

I'm sure there will be an update soon, and no, I don't think there's any harm in running them at 4000rpm.

9. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The reason that your fans are running at 4000 RPMs is because that'sthe default smcFan profile.

Just make new profiles for your other desired speeds. I've got 3 profiles: Default at 2000 RPMs, Increased at 3000 RPMs, and Higher (which is the default one for smc) at 4000 RPMs.

All work fine.

However note this: If you leave your fans running at 4000 with smcFan and then quit smc, your fans will still be at 4000 unless you either sleep/shutdown, or run smc again and change the speeds.