New MBP, and some questions (CS5 related)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bagend12, Jan 4, 2014.

1. bagend12 macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Last night I picked up the base model, late 2013 MBP (2.0 ghz i7, 256 gb ssdhd, 8 gb ram).

I am coming from a mid 2010 MBP that still had some life, but really was not up to what I was asking it to do with the large raw files from my D800E. The late 2013 is like a speed demon in comparison!

However, I have a few questions:

While the size of the hard drive sucks compared to what I had, (750 gb). However I can get around that by using external drives and the cloud.

Of more concern, is this. I was leaning towards the next model up with the discrete GPU and 16 gb of RAM, but was not really willing to part with the $$$$ to get those features. All I really will be using this for is light photoediting using Aperture, Capture1, and photoshop. Will this machine be sufficient for those tasks?

Also, what exactly is the deal with Photoshop CS5 and the retina display? Everything I read told me it is not compatible, however that program and bridge open up just fine, and while the text within the program itself appears somewhat "fuzzy", the images display fine. What exactly is the compatability problem supposed to be?

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

This sounds like a moot point given that you have already bought the machine but, disk space aside, my feeling it that it will work fine for what you want. Largely speaking, I think it depends on how much work your software will offload to the GPU. If you feel that your new computer is a speed demon then my feeling is that it is plenty fast enough for what you need.

I think you have identified the problem - the application does not support HiDPI resolutions so you end up with fuzziness. If this is not a problem for you then all is well but if it is (and, if I'm honest, it would bug the heck out of me) then you'll want to upgrade CS5 to something like CC. I'm not mad keen on the idea of "renting" my software but the current price for Creative Cloud for Photography is pretty good for Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5.