New MBP and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Itzamna, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Itzamna macrumors regular

Hello.
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but what if i want to connect the new MBP to a old Thunderbolt Display that has the two cables (Magsafe and Thunderbolt)? Is there any dongle that "unites" the 2 cables into a USB C port?

2. digitalm3 macrumors member

digitalm3

I'm hoping someone creates something to unite these to..

3. raleighrunner76 macrumors newbie

raleighrunner76

4. GeoffreyReady macrumors newbie

GeoffreyReady

Yes, the adapter you link to bridges the Thunderbolt cable/connector from the display but the question above was also about the Magsafe cable/connector and whether a single adapter could connect both Thunderbolt and Magsafe into a USB C port on the MacBook Pro.

Failing that, do you suppose we will be able at least to use a second adapter on the Magsafe cable from the Thunderbolt Display connected to a second USB C port to charge the MBP?

I really want to avoid having to carry the actual power adapter around with my laptop (I have Thunderbolt Displays in two places).

5. Itzamna thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly GeoffreyReady. I also have one TBD at home and one at the office. And it would great to be able to continue to use the power cable from the screens. It shouldn't be that hard to combine both since USB C also provides the power. Maybe a third party has/will have one...

6. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Maybe a third-party will make such a thing, but I suspect not... But, one nice thing about USB-C for power is you can buy third-party power adapters now... so you could get a second power adapter for probably half the price of an Apple one.

7. 141nf macrumors newbie

141nf

Can I power the laptop with another TB to USB-C cable on the back of the TB display?

This is seeming very difficult...