New MBP and transferring files from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yelnref, Aug 13, 2011.

1. yelnref macrumors member

Hey guys and gals.

My new 13" MBP (2.7Ghz / 750 Gig) arrives next week. :) This would be more exciting if its arrival wasn't due to my 4-yr-old 15" MBP dying. :(

My question is, with my old MBP dead I am relying on a Time Machine backup for restoring various files, etc. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to only transfer what I really want -- the old MBP felt like an old storage cupboard with a load of junk in! So I don't want to transfer the whole lot.

Essentially, I think that all I want are my iPhotos pics and stuff, my iTunes stuff, my Lightroom 3 library, perhaps my Aperture library, and various word/pdf files that were on my desktop.

I know that when I start up the first time I'll be asked if want to transfer stuff from another computer or volume. I assume this includes a TM backup. Should I do it then or can I open TM later and selectively import what I need? Are there pros/cons to each scenario? Once the MBP arrives I kinda need to get straight to work on it so doing the above might not be an option -- unless it has to be. I can happily wait until the weekend or so. And how does using TM differ to migration assistant?

Also, re iPhoto and iTunes, what files do I need and where do I find these files? I didn't move anything on my old mac so they should be in their default positions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

man you're getting no love on this question. I can answer a few for you, and maybe others will jump in.

I was just in your situation the other day. I got a new MBP, upgraded from my 2009 model. However, I decided (for time's sake) to simply reinstall my OS and then migrate everything over from Time Machine.

to your questions ::

When you are first prompted to migrate your stuff over, you can check "from a time Machine back-up". Once you do that you'll have the option to select WHAT you want to bring over from your TM back-up. I would do it all right off the bat. This way you can pick and choose, plus you get it done quicker.

Also, Migration Assistant is a utility that allows you to transfer data from one computer to another, OR from a time machine back-up.

Here is a link that should help you out

3. yelnref thread starter macrumors member

Lol. Ain't that the truth! Appreciate you chiming in.

Yeah, I remember doing this with my last, now dead, MBP. This time I want to be selective. A lot of work files I have in Dropbox, so there are just a few things I need. Do you recall if it's possible to migrate individual files out of various folders?

Thanks for the help.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you can manually move things over (meaning, NOT using migration assistant) But I'm not completely sure how detailed you can be when migrating from a time machine back-up.

These are questions I too would like to see what others have to say.

5. yelnref thread starter macrumors member

Looks like it's down to me to let you know in a few days... :)