New MBP and Vibration - HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nope7308, Oct 24, 2008.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I just received my new MBP today and after a thorough inspection, I noticed that there is a faint vibration. To be more specific, the vibration is strongest directly above the HD, but it resonates throughout the entire body. If you can, try to imagine what a low hum would feel like - that's the issue.

Before you dismiss this as being overly critical, my 4 year old Asus laptop doesn't vibrate half as much (the HD is also near the palm rest). I'm not sure what's causing this problem either - I flipped off the back cover and the HD is securely fastened.

Someone posted a similar problem on the Apple website, but they ended up getting an exchange. Now, I'm a little worried because (1) my computer is BTO (320HD @ 7200), and (2) the closest Apple store is about 2 hours away.

Any suggestions? :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you had done a search you would have learned that it appears to be a more common occurrence then you thought it was.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

To totally eliminate the vibration, have apple install a very small but very quick SSD. then the only vibes you'll get would be from the DVD.

In the older MBP (the gen before the brick) the HD's had rubber grommets in the holes where the screws go, the HD is then free to vibrate, the rubber would absorb any vibrations given off. Are they still there, on the new brick? I don't own one so can't check.

4. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

And if you took the time to read my post, then you would have know that I already have searched... I'm looking for a potential resolution to this problem, not another smart ass remark.

5. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well, when I removed the back casing there was a brace for the HD to sit into. I assume this would absorb the shock even though it was plastic-y.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't think anything plastic can truly absorb vibrations, they simply don't have enough give, ff anything, they would probably transfer them to the connecting part - ie. the housing/case.

You can try buying some rubber grommets and doing some DIY on the HD holder/brace, perhaps pad it a little or alot! Play about with the screws, try don't tighten the screws so much.... But avoid making any physical changes to any of the Apple parts.

I know for a new machine this should be perfect but it's a revision A, problems will always occur, especially with any industrial designed product.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can see that my friend UltraNEO* has encountered this as well before.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

a plastic Asus will absorb vibrations from the hard drive more readily than a unibody aluminum case.

aluminum doesnt absorb vibrations very well if at all. (think road bike frames. Super stiff and jarring)

solution? Fabricate a carbon fiber unibody. :)

and i'm not sure a BTO computer is exchangeable at an apple store anyways.

9. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

I already read that thread and there was no useful information in it. Moreover, I'm confident that my vibration is not normal, unlike that thread where the OP was unsure.

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The HDDs are mounted in rubber grommets, but it won't isolate all the vibration in certain drives. You're not the first person that has had vibration from that particular drive. I installed my 7K200 this morning and there is little to no vibration.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You can always take it to an AppleStore have one of their Geeks examine it, see what they say.

12. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the replies.

RE: DIY Rubber Grommets:
    Although this is a plausible solution, I would rather not have to McGiver a computer that I just dropped $2,500 on. I guess this will be my backup :/

RE: BTO and no in-store exchanges:
    Yeah, this is what I'm terribly afraid of. I found this out after my order had shipped. If I knew this beforehand, I would have just made the trek to the Apple store. From Apple's perspective, what do you think can be done? I rather drive 2 hours to the Apple store instead of exchange the entire machine and wait another 2+ weeks. I also need a computer over the next little while, so I have no idea how this is going to work. ****ing Apple.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now we're getting somewhere. The rubber mounts on the hard drive should reduce the vibration to one that is barely audible much less felt.

I suggest taking it to an Apple Store but it might be the nature of your hard drive. Do you know what the make and model of it are?

14. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Yeah, that's the problem... the Apple store is about 1.5 hours away and my car is broken.

Anyway, the HD is a Hitachi 320GB (7200rpm) and the PN is 0A58927. Hope that helps.