New MBP and video camera problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thouts, Nov 12, 2008.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

Hello. Got the new MBP and now i guess i'm hurting for the old firewire 400. I usually hooked up my video camera up from the camera to my seagate external drive via firewire 400...then out from my seagate drive to my computer FW400 to FW400. I went thru the drive so I could store the capture scratch on my external. Anyway with the new MBP i lost 400 and didn't have a 400 to 800 cable yet. So I went from the camera to the external same as always, but then used to seagates USB port to go to the MBP's USB port. Neither iMovie or Final Cut recognized a camera attached. I guess you cant use USB?

So today I got a 400 to 800 cable. Going to try that. Any other recommendations if this doesn't work? Or do you think it will work fine now?

2. njkev macrumors newbie

is FW800 any different (other than faster)?

I assume that an adapter or new cable will solve the problem, else Apple just obsoleted a lot of legacy FW400 devices and videocams.

(meanwhile I am torn betw an old MBP on the cheap - and with a hot 8600 GPU - or the new MBP which should offer some performance advantages :confused: )