New MBP any good for gaming UT3 etc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRuNcHiE, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the new MBP being capable of playing UT3 well or not.

I currently have a 7900gtx in my pc which i am intending to sell, and also sell my current 2.33ghz macbook pro with X1600 to basically get a more modern desktop replacement notebook

I have to say though the 8600 doesnt sound as big as a jump as i was hoping from an x1600? i thought they would put in the 8800

p.s i've just noticed on the UK store, the top end MBP no longer says 512MB 8600, typo? it says so if you click the specs tab though.

2. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

Just my opinion but I think it should be a pretty decent gaming machine, its no XPS or any of those super thick ones. However for its size (thickness), its probably the best gaming machine out there.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you can run UT3 on it, but i doubt itll run very well, i had issues running UT2k4 on my MBP so i'd hate to think how UT3 will play on it it runs pretty well on x1950 cards though

5. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have an XPS m1330 which has an 8400 in it, and tbh its pretty rubbish for UT3 compared to my older 7900gtx

Thats why im a lil worried about the 8600 as it seems to fall behind the 7900gtx in some tests

6. Smurfed macrumors regular

The 8400 is a very low end card, the 8600m gt is fairly decent, there was a video on youtube on someone playing UT3 on an mbp while running fraps, I think you can find it if you search.

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Believe it or not even the old 2.2 was pretty decent at gaming. Overclocked a little bit in bootcamp (XP), it could play UT3 very well on native resolution and medium settings.

8. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

I'm in a similar situation to you. What I'm doing is, playing the shooters on my P.C. and not worrying about the MBP, and just getting a Blackbook. I contemplated it for a while now... shooters and labtops just don't mix, unless your using your laptop as a desktop. So take my advice. Buy a blackbook for you mobile computing needs and spend the extra $700 or so on upgrading your PC.

9. cRuNcHiE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to ditch my pc thats the thing. I have an XPS m1330 at work, the macbook pro with x1600 at home for doing recording, plus the PC for doing my downloading and gaming.

With the timecapsule now coming out i dont really need all the storage in my pc so gaming is the only reason i need it now.

10. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

haha, then I guess we are not in similar situations... anyways

My theory is, if the new MBP you get isn't leaving the area where your P.C. would be to be gamed on a minimum of at least once a week then whats the need for it? If you really like to take your game anywhere then go right ahead and get a MBP. I just would rarely be gaming on mine outside of the house so I can't justify dropping the extra cash when I don't really need anything more than an internet portal on the go.