New MBP. Any need to create partitions on internal HD? (Not Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dexter v House, May 12, 2009.

1. Dexter v House macrumors member

Apologies in advance. May have been asked before, but search came back with nothing.

Any need to partition the internal HD on a brand new MBP to keep data/media/etc seperate from the os system/app files?
    I used to do this in windows (to stop windows from spreading itself all over the HD, and also just for better organization).
    I've also done it to good effect on my Hack.
    But is it advisable on a real Mac?
    I'm thinking of having just 2 partitions, nothing complicated.
    Would you advise against it for any reason?

Thanks folks.

PS. I am NOT talking about a BootCamp partition.

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

For normal use, there isn't much need. The home folder and it's separate folders for libraries and applications, isolated from the system-wide files, pretty much accomplishes the same goal.

3. Dexter v House thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Thiol
    As you say there's no need to do it.
    Since I haven't heard an disadvantages to it though I probably will go ahead, just to make restoring the OS easier if I ever need to.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the most part you're better off keeping a single partition, there's no performance gain. I think for the most part apple recommends keeping a single partition and if I remember correctly if you have multiple partitions, boot camp won't work, it needs a single partition (if you ever need to use bootcamp)

5. Dexter v House thread starter macrumors member

That's a good point I wasn't aware of (only had the thing 1 day). Thanks for the heads-up :)

(Although I've seen how folks have done it with an easy work-around).

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Don't bother partitioning...in case of a disaster you can always re-install the OS on a new hard drive say...and use Time Machine to restore all your data and all your settings from an external drive...

Cheers.

-J.-

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you really want to partition your drive, you can easily do it in disk utility. Just select your harddrive, go to the partitioning tab, and then select the partition scheme. It's nice how leopard non-destructively partitions.