new MBP arrived but with problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 262Runnr, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I was so excited to get my 13" MBP 2.9 i7 refurb today....opened the box and pushed the power button and it wouldn't come on :(
    I finally played with the power button and got it working but when I closed the lid to put it to sleep, it wouldn't come on.
    I immediately called tech support and they took me through some reset procedures but could not resolve the sleep issue.
    They referred me to a senior tech guy who it trying to get this resolved and I'm waiting for a call back. Hopefully, they can get this resolved quickly.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd return it, if it were me. You spent a lot of money, and even with a refurb, you expect it to work as new.

3. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

The tech guy asked me if I had a local Apple store near me (which is only 20 minutes away). I'm waiting for a call back right now.
    I think he is trying to see if I can get it swapped out at the local store...fingers crossed.

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Why would he do that when he might get a new one for the price of a refurb?

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Ya take it to the apple store. They might give you a new 2012 model.

8. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

Just got off the phone with Customer Service & I can either send the MBP back for a full refund or have them repair it. I'm going to give them a chance to repair it since it's not costing me anything and I'd save $230.00 over the cost of a new MBP( $1269 vs. $1499). There are currently none for sale on the website and haven't been, so I can't just order another one- MBP 13" 3rd gen 2.9 i7
    Obviously someone bought this as new and had a problem and it wasn't fixed correctly so buying new doesn't necessarily guarantee that you get a problem free machine. However, I will only give them only one chance to fix it correctly. If I get it back and it's not fixed, I will get a complete refund and most likely never buy an Apple product again.

I own 5 Asus PC computers and tablets which were ALL purchased as "refurbs". I have never had a problem with any of them. I find if confusing that I am having this problem with an Apple product which supposedly has the highest build standards...and sent out a unit again that was supposedly fixed!

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Refurbs are refurbs. It doesn't mean that Apple can magically exchange everything in and out (then that's a new unit) and solve every problem of the machine. If the unit has such a serious problem that even Apple's refurb process couldn't help, I'd suggest you to return it and order another refurb if you still want to save the money. You're not adopting a child, you don't need to give it one more chance! It's just a machine. Just get another one.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol this made me laugh.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Return it wait for another refurb you like to come on the refurb section, especially if you certain thats the reason the mbp was return the first time

12. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

Let us know what you do, actually thinking about purchasing a refurb in the future but now with this, I'm having second thoughts. :confused:

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

dont i and many others have refurbs with no issues, anything that can happen to a refurb can happen to a new, you get the same warranty with a refurb so unless you really want the packaging that comes with a new unit there is no harm in buying a refurb

14. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

You have to take most of those bad experience post with a grain of salt. It as been proven that some come to forum like this and invent horror story just for the lols and as a way to get some troll experience points...

Apple sells thousands of refurb machine per years, so a few defect is to be expected. No company and no product are exempt of defect. They're designed and serviced by human after all.

And since Apple give their refurb the same warranty as they do their brand new computer, you can even get AppleCare for those refurb, then why the fear and melodrama. They'll either fix it or they'll exchange it.

15. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Some people are just weird. Look at the garage sales and flea markets. I've never thought of looking at someone's junk, but there are people who never buy anything new. Their shack is full of junk and things they're going to fix some day.

16. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

I HOPE that you are not suggesting that I am a troll....

17. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

There's 2 things you should never buy used electronics and underwear

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

First MBP I ever owned , when starting it for the first time it played back the "Welcome" sequence but the graphics were corrupted, took it right back got a replacement and it worked.

19. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I had a friend who got a refurb MBA that wouldn't turn on. It happens. Who knows why. But it is rare. I'd return it and buy another or try to negotiate for a new one. F¨¨k repairing it.

20. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

No, but such beast exist. So unless the shoe fit, consider this a general comment.

21. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Refurbs are the ONLY way to go. Lol at these people putting down others that like saving money. I have a rerurb 2011 and with the money I saved I put in a 256 SSD and 8 gb RAM and it still came out less than a "New" Mac

22. stuaz macrumors 6502

And mattress. *shudder*

23. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

Update:
    Since yesterday there are additional refurb units now available (13" MBP 2.9 i7). I sent back the defective unit that I had scheduled for repair and ordered another refurb from the Apple Store online. I decided that fixing a "refurb" is just starting off one the wrong foot. Got my fingers crossed that it was just a fluke. I've never had an issue with a refurb and will always continue to purchase them. It's the best way to buy stuff, which is also why I will never buy another new car...:)

The shoe doesn't fit. I call things as they are without prejudice...
    Let's see, I've been a member here since July 2008...You, this since past May....

24. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

Lol and you believe that this has any relevance?

Poor you, if the only value you can put on your word is when you signed up on a web forum then I pity you...

25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Hey he pulled the member date card! Wow you are so good!