New MBP Arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hey guys. I got my new MBP.

Just got a couple of questions. How do you add stuff to the doc? And how do you create a shortcut icon?

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm trying to get the Applications folder by dragging and dropping to the right side but it doesn't work -_-

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well when you try to drag apps all you need to do is click and hold on the application, drag it in between 2 applications anywhere on the dock and then a gap should appear and you put it there. For documents though you have to go on the part between the little separator line and the trash.

ChrisN

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Create a shortcut icon by holding the command and option keys while dragging an object to another location.

6. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

None of these worked :(

I am in the finder. You know on the left, it says Applications? Yeah I'm trying to create a stack and it doesn't work.

7. AaronRC macrumors member

Then that's the problem. :eek:

You need to drag the Applications folder from the main finder window, not the sidebar.

Right click Applications in the sidebar, Open Enclosing Folder, then drag the Applications folder from the new Finder window to the dock.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

As one of the previous posters said, to add an application to the Dock, drag it in between two other application and then drop it and it should stay. If you can't get that to work, then launch the application, and once it is running, control-click it in the dock, and select "Keep in Dock".

For documents or folders, you have to get them to the RIGHT hand side of the dotted line near to the trash can. It's a little tricky but you should be able to get it to stay. You know you have it right, when the icons open up and make room for you to drop the object.

As far as making short cuts, you need to drag the original file to where you want the shirt cut to be, and BEFORE you drop, press the CMD AND OPTION keys. You should see the little shortcut arrow show up on the icon. Once you can see the arrow, THEN you can drop it. Don't drop it before than, or you will just move the file.

If you can't get it to work, then CTRL-CLICK on the original and select "Make Alias". Then move the shortcut to the location you want it to be...

Are you coming from a Windows background? I find that people who have used Windows for a long time, tend not to do much Dragging and Dropping, so it may take a little practice!

9. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well Ok I got it to work. Turns out that tragging the name "Applications" doesn't work but I tried dragging the whole folder of Applications and it worked.

And yes, I've been using windows my whole life. Mac OS X is cool though, although I have some troubles right now. I will solve it sooner or later though!
    I'm loving my MBP right now. (I'm typing on it right now and I must say, I love the keyboard, barely make any typos).

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Welcome to the Mac and OS X! I'm sure you will enjoy your new MBP, and exploring all of the new things you can do with your new machine!

I'm glad you got your "drag and drop" worked out...

11. dmb3886 macrumors regular

my 15'' macbook pro, 2.4/7200rpm - arrived 2 days ago...haven't had the time to open it up yet though