New MBP as Laptop and Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MUBiomed, Feb 20, 2011.

1. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I currently have the systems listed in my sig. I have been wanting to streamline my setup since I am tired of trying to keep all of my files/folders up to date on both systems. All programs up to date on both/etc...

I have been tossing around the idea of buying one of the new MBPs that are expected to come out this week and use it while I am out and slap it in an ARC at home and use it as my desktop. I would sell my iMac and MBA.

I have never done anything like this before and have always had two systems (one desktop and one laptop). What are the downsides to this? If I leave my MBP plugged in day and night while using it as a "desktop" will this kill my battery life when using it mobile? I always set my iMac to never sleep based on some servers I run on it, can I do this with a MBP in clamshell without worrying about heat?

I am sure there are other questions I "should" ask that aren't coming to mind right now. Looking for experience with this set up. What are the pros and cons in your opinions?

Regards

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Up until recently I was using my MBP in a hengedock and it was plugged in all day, closed in the dock and I never had any issues with heat at all. I don't think you need to worry about heat or battery issues while using it as a desktop or with it closed all the time. I was running two external 22" monitors off my MBP without any issues.

3. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Are you using the MBP in the sig? I would be using two 21.5" LED Dell monitors. I was concerned that without discreet graphics it may not power both? I would like to stick with the 13" form factor but wondered if the 15" might be necessary for the GPU?

I assume you are using a USB adaptor for the second monitor?