Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
I'm thinking that Apple will introduce a new MBP (updates/refreshes, a new model, etc. - i don't know).

Until a week or so ago many were expecting the octo-pro to be released at NAB, but that's alredy happed, which would imply that Apple have got something far bigger planned for NAB with their big stand etc. (I think it's going to be more than the new final cut (plus "FC Extreme" ?)

Today Apple put a new banner on the UK Store surely showing that they are trying to clear their stocks of the MacBooks and of the MacBooks Pro (I'm pretty sure that's the correct plural :) ).

Obviously any hardware released at NAB would be aimed at the pro sector, and as I don't think there will be any more updates to the Macs Pro or to the ACDs (unless they add a new XX" display above the 30") due to both of their recent "updates", I'm pretty confident that we will see something new on the MBP line.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 100

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Don't think so. Apple won't release new MBPs without the new Santa Rosa chipset. MBs maybe but MBPs no.

Yeh I know about the SR thing, and there's also the Leopard thing. But I don't think something new before SR is too out of the question.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yeh I know about the SR thing, and there's also the Leopard thing. But I don't think something new before SR is too out of the question.

New MBP are pretty much out of the question because they won't ship in numbers until May, mid-May and by the end of May the first notebooks with Santa Rosa are expected so Apple would have to bring out new notebooks to compete with other companies or fall behind, and if they had just upgraded the line they couldn't do that.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
New MBP are pretty much out of the question because they won't ship in numbers until May, mid-May and by the end of May the first notebooks with Santa Rosa are expected so Apple would have to bring out new notebooks to compete with other companies or fall behind, and if they had just upgraded the line they couldn't do that.

But Apple is getting special treatment from Intel now - they got the quad core Xeon 3.0 ghz from them early, and so why not Santa Rosa early? I don't think that other PC manufacturers are biting at the bit for this technology because it is too expensive for most of the machines they make (and what it means for Vista is unclear). Anyway if they announce MBP at the weekend and then sell them 2-4 weeks after it won't be unusual for Apple these days. Joe Public won't have a clue what Santa Rosa means so won't know that it is better to wait even if they hear the news.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
But Apple is getting special treatment from Intel now - they got the quad core Xeon 3.0 ghz from them early, and so why not Santa Rosa early? I don't think that other PC manufacturers are biting at the bit for this technology because it is too expensive for most of the machines they make.

I think you are misreading why Apple got the quad-core Xeons at 3.0 ghz....Intel is producing them in a small volume currently. If a manufacturer with a larger marketshare, like Dell, took those...they would have supply issues. The demand would be more than Intel can currently supply...so the larger manufacturers opted out because they knew that those supple issues would piss off customers waiting for those machines. Those manufacturers' losses = Apple's gain...but I don't think it necessarily means we'll get first dibs on everything coming out of Intel. Future CPUs that are batching out in limited numbers, maybe...but not something like a new chipset platform.

Boomercafe

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Arlington, VA
Time to upgrade to Macbook?

May I ask a question in the hope that I won't make a strategic purchasing stumble in front of my new wife ... she and I want to update our 12" Powerbook G4s 1.5GHz with a couple of Macbooks 2GHz. But, it's always my luck that the moment I do something like that, Apple will revamp the Macbook line. We both like the Macbooks except for the sharp edges. Is there any advice anyone could share that might help the timing of my decision?

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
May I ask you a question in the hope that I won't make a strategic purchasing stumble in front of my new wife ... she and I want to update our 12" Powerbook G4s 1.5GHz with a couple of Macbooks 2GHz. But, it's always my luck that the moment I do something like that, Apple will revamp the Macbook line. We both like the Macbooks except for the sharp edges. Is there any advice anyone could share that might help the timing of my decision?

MB's likely won't be revamped till after June. So they're kinda mid-product cycle (check the "Buyer's Guide" tab above).

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
Today Apple put a new banner on the UK Store surely showing that they are trying to clear their stocks of the MacBooks and of the MacBooks Pro (I'm pretty sure that's the correct plural :) ).

"Going fast" is meant to be a double-entendre. I think you're misreading it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.