New MBP, Batter Cycle Count is 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

I just got my brand new Macbook pro from Amazon and when I checked the Power information, I noticed that the Battery Cycle count is 2 and iSat shows that the health is only 98%. Does this mean the machine was "used"?

Thanks!

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Many people have been reporting this but I do not recall the consensus as to what it was...

3. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

My battery came with 5 cycles :confused: but the health was 102 percent :D

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine was 100% health, 2 cycles. Obviously, the machine was used, they had to do some quality testing on it first. (How do they get the OS on these things? Do they just have a disk image they put onto the hard drives en masse with a special machine, or do they actually install it?)

5. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Are you serious? Do you actually think Apple takes the time to install every OS on every computer?

They ghost every single one of them and that's 100% sure. (That means that they have an image of the OS and drop in on every harddrive with some kind of enclosure that takes multiple drives.

6. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

QFT...

Were all the seals present? I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point... I highly doubt you recieved a "used" machine... Check out battery calibration in help section

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I picked up a unibody MBP on the Wednesday that they were released. The seals were in tact but I did notice that the battery cycle on iStat stated it was on cycle number two and was at roughly 66% out of the box.

8. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

who cares if it's been cycled a couple times already. So apple did some testing. I'd actually say, the more cycles you battery has gone through when you got it, the better, because that probably means that apple tested and inspected your specific machine (I think they test 1 out of every 50 or something like that)

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Many threads have people complaining about quality control, and now we have a thread full of people complaining about the fact that their systems have been used (likely tested in the factory) by Apple, before shipping.

I would be amazed if Apple didn't power them on, ensure everything works and "possibly" grab a few off the line for more extensive testing before shipping them out.

Also remember that the "life" shown is only a computer controlled estimate based on data gathered during operation. It is best to ensure it is correct by doing proper battery calibration.

[​IMG]