New MBP batteries last longer than stock (older models)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brayhite, Oct 3, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I bought my MBP in early '08, and the battery has 60% of it's life left, according to iStats. I intend on buying a new one, but there are "compatible" batteries online that are nearly half the price as buying from Apple. I wanted to know if the ones Apple sells for older MBPs are refined and last longer than the stock ones that came with it originally?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think the ones apple sells online are the same as what it came with. I wouldn't buy 3rd party though, as those have a reputation of doing nasty things like expanding or leaking, or just not working.

3. Coolestdude macrumors member

With non-Apple computers, I've bought aftermarket replacements and have not been happy (this is in an IT department). We only use OEM batteries now in our Dell's. The aftermarkets were shorter on time, despite same or greater MA rating, and typically the overall lifespan was shorter. Even a few were DOA. I can't imagine dealing with this issue in these new Mac's that you have to take apart to replace the battery. When mine goes, it will be a genuine Apple replacement.

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

other than direct from apple who else supplies original batteries at a good price?