New MBP, battery cover wiggles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwanttogarden, Oct 30, 2008.

1. iwanttogarden macrumors member

So even after locking the battery cover, I'm still able to wiggle it around by maybe a few millimeters of space. Anyone else share the same experience? Kind of annoying that the battery cover isn't tightly fitted.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

See those little tabs along the back edge of the cover? Give them all a little push outward. Not much, you probably won't even see them move. Just a little pressure from your thumb is all you need. Problem solved.

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Yeah I have the same problem.

I'm taking my MBP in next week to have the HD replaced (it vibrates like crazy), but now I'm noticing that some of the buttons squeak and the battery cover has a little bit of play to it. To be more specific, there's about 3mm of play, and when I move the cover back into place, it makes a noticeable clicking sound.

Can't say I'm impressed with Apple right now...

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Just to clarify, the battery cover doesn't stick out - it's flush with the bottom of the computer. It moves slightly so the crack or seems grows larger on one side (the right side with no latch).

I know these are small annoyances, but for $2,500 this computer should be flawless. I'm thinking of calling in and complaining (I've already spoken with Apple and I need to take the computer to an authorized reseller for repair).

5. itcomic macrumors member

They need major quality control for their products. Everyday there is a thread about "I need to return my macbook pro because of defects".

6. iwanttogarden thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly it. It's not sticking out, it's locked in and level, but it wiggles by a few millimeters. It won't fall out or anything. The worst case scenario is maybe if you clasp the MBP with the battery cover side it will move on you and give you a 'slip' feeling.

I'm not sure if I'd want to exchange for another MBP just because of it... But yea, definitely annoying for a $2,000+ laptop.

7. Red-red macrumors 6502

Not really, your on a mac forum, the majority of posts will be complaints because thats what people generally use forums like this for.

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Good point, but from the perspective of those with a defective machine, one defect is one too many. In my case, I have 2.5 defects (I count the battery cover as 0.5).

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Since I seem to be just as bad at describing this method as everyone else...

[​IMG]

See the tabs in the middle of the pic? Press them GENTLY toward the right side of the pic.

And no, a $2500 computer is not going to be flawless. No computer will be. Ever. These things are simply WAYY to complex for that. One more thing we can thank these $600 piece of s*** computers for. Not only have they proliferated horridly useless hardware all over the place, but they have forced unreasonable expectations on good hardware. Good computers have always cost $1500 at least, probably far more, especially if you need a new display too. I don't expect perfection for my hardware. I expect it to perform as advertised without issues crippling its usability. Should something worse happen, I expect a prompt and simple RMA. Some people seem to have gotten much higher expectations, which really needs to stop.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Boy do I agree with this! I think every forum I've seen (not just Mac stuff) has someone demanding I paid X for product Y and it better be perfect!!! (X could be $50 or $50,000).

Personally, if I got one that was great except for the paper thin battery cover, I would have tried bending the tabs myself first before sending it back.

11. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the pic.

And in response to your comments, I think a functional HD and a properly installed keyboard are perfectly reasonable expectations from $2,500 machine. Hell, for that money, this thing should cook me breakfast on my birthday.

And for the record, my last (non-Apple) laptop - which cost about $1000 - had a normal HD and keyboard. I think I'm perfectly justified in being pissed off with Apple. If I expected anything less than near perfection, I wouldn't stand for the premium on the MBP.

12. iwanttogarden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but it's more a workaround than a fix.
    Right now, it wiggles less up and down, but it still wiggles side to side like before. And I'm guessing bending those tabs to get a tighter fit will eventually 'loosen' and I'd have to rebend them again.

Also it looks ugly to have like a 2-3mm gap around the border of the battery cover :p

A fix would be them making the battery cover maybe like 1mm longer on all sides.

I'll probably see if I can just get a replacement cover under warranty and see how it goes.
    I don't see the point in returning the entire machine it as it seems the cover fitting tightly is independent of the body itself.

It is nice to know other people are noticing it too. They probably traded easier fitting over tighter fitting by not making the battery cover longer on all sides.