New mbp battery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Black.Infinity, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

I bought a new MBP 15 2.0GHz and from the third day i noticed the battery gets charge up to 98% and no more. I replugged the power after 10 min and battery became 100% but it seems every time I turn it on with pluged to power agian shows 98%.
    In system profile shows its fully charged and normal

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 6918
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7082
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 3
    Condition: Normal

one time i used the battery till i got 2% and then turned it off and put it on charge till i saw green light and turned it on and battery was fully charged 100% 7082 out of 7082
    but later when I plugged the power and turned it on it showed 98% 6918 out of 7082
    it is now fifth time that i turn it on and still shows 98%

I know lithium battery start losing its lifetime from the day it leaves factory but my old MBP 13 was not like that

I am wondering if my battery is defective.

Thanks for reading my post

2. Tonepoet, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Hmm, I wouldn't imagine this to be the case if Apple's battery is all they claim it to be, since to my knowledge newer NiHM cells aren't supposed to suffer from this but it almost sounds as if it's memory effect. Why don't you try running the laptop all the way down to 0% and recharging to full to see if that helps? If that doesn't work after a couple of tries, take it into an Apple Store and see if they'll work on it. Your warranty should cover flaws in materials and workmanship at the very least, albeit it's a bit spotty since I think the battery may also be considered "A user consumable part."

3. Black.Infinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

thanks i'll make it to zero again but is this going to be a big problem.
    i mean should i return it or just relay on applecare if something bad comes up in the future?

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

5. darknite38 macrumors regular

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

This is normal battery behavior.

When the magsafe is not sufficient in powering the laptop in processor intensive task, the battery kicks in to help out.

Otherwise, the microchip in the battery slowly cycles the battery from 100% to 95% back to 100% for the sake of keeping the electrons moving, if you are between 100 and 95% charge and plug it in, it will not charge, and that is perfectly normal.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Memory effect does not exist on lithium-ion and lithium polymer batteries. Fully draining a battery often is bad for it, and a full calibration is only needed once in a while to keep the batter meter accurate.

9. GGJstudios, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the Battery FAQ that others have posted a link to, you will see that it's completely normal for the battery to stop charging anywhere from 93% to 99%. Read the FAQ. It will answer all your questions.
    As has already been stated, the lithium polymer batteries used in Apple notebooks have zero memory effect.
    Yes, batteries are consumable and are not covered by warranty, except in the case of manufacturing defect. Read the FAQ for details.