New MBP Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sunnyskyez, Nov 16, 2011.

1. sunnyskyez macrumors newbie

Hello all Im new to this forum.

I searched for the problem Im having but couldnt find it so excuse me if Im in the wrong place. A little background, bought a 17"mbp dual core leopard in 2010, loved it. Battery life superb, goes all day on single charge, surfing, youtubeing, news flash report. Terrific. Gave it to my cousin. Bought an Acer with Windows 7 because of my job, hate everything about it, track pac sucks, Windows sucks, speakers suck.

Bought the new mbp 15" quad core i7 running Lion. Loved almost everything it, first is wasnt Windows. Lion doesnt bother me it worked fine, the big problem was the battery life, not as bad as the Acer but not good since I was getting over 7-8 hours on the Leopard mbp. I did the SMC restset, discharged the battery, turned off Wifi, turned down the brightness, ran the program that allows you to use Integrated graphics, just the whole thing. After all of that the battery life went from 2-3 hrs to 4,big whoop. Fully charged it would drain rapidly with every little thing I did. I just sent it back an hour ago via FedEx.

I was so dissapointed. Cant get my old mac back. I think I will wait around to see if Apple fixes the battery drain issue. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? Also does anyone think Apple will come up with an up graded system soon, very soon?

thanks for reading. Sunny

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors. Check out BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I have noticed less battery life with Lion that with Snow Leopard. I also have a 2010 17" MPB. I am hoping future updates will cure things.

4. sunnyskyez thread starter macrumors newbie

New MBP Battery Issues

Thanks for the replies. Ive read the batt faqs even before you gave me the link, and Ive followed them to no avail. Especially since my 2010 MBP 17" dual core running Leopard never needed any tinkering, display ran on high, the wifi was always on, I would run Adobe CS while watching videos, working in Excel, and it went all day long without charging.

So what was causing the big drain, what is the big difference between the 2010 models running Leopard,Snow Leopard & the 2011 Lions? Well there are two obvious things right off the bat, the new OS- Lion and the quad cores. Im no expert so I can only point out the obvious. I really dont think the OS- Lion is causing the drain as much as the "quad cores". Im sure there are folks out there that understand the cores way better than I and I would really like your input. Im trying to understand for future purchases.

Im actually thinking of getting a refurbished 2010 running Snow Leopard.

Looking forward to some more input. :) Sunny

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

How long did you stick with it for before sending it back?

Always takes a while for things to bed down... could've had Spotlight indexing in the background or something like that.

Surely if everyone was struggling to get 4h out of their new 15" MBPs we'd be hearing a LOT about it? :-/

6. cps macrumors newbie

7. Droymac macrumors newbie

Battery life has kind of been an issue for me with my new 13" MBP, though my last machine was a Chromebook -- so I'm not sure if it really is a problem, other than me being used to getting eight hours out of every charge.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you think that link proves? If you take all the people who posted there, or even all who simply viewed the thread, you have a ridiculously tiny minority of the millions of MBP owners.
    ScreenCap 2.PNG
    That link proves nothing.

9. redarm macrumors newbie

redarm

Have you ever heard the expression "for everyone complaining there is a 100 more that don't?"

@sunnyskyez
    I've got a MacBook Pro early 2011 i7 quadcore that came with SL and can confirm the OP's description of the problem.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For everyone posting in a forum, there are thousands who don't. Even if you multiply the few complaints by 100, they still represent a tiny fraction of owners. Those complaining are very much in the minority among forum posters, as well as the world.

11. redarm, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

redarm macrumors newbie

redarm

Yes, you are right there.
    edit: just read you said thousands not 1000. Lets wait until the thread stops. If we get a thousand posts times thousand would make it a million; times thousands would make a few millions. Tiny fraction then?

2nd edit: by "posts" I meant "different individual complaints".

12. cps macrumors newbie

The link wasn't meant to prove anything. In reading the post I assumed the poster had never heard of a "battery issue", I was simply pointing him in a direction where he/she could read about "a LOT" of others who had. Between that link and the 'More Like This' links found on the page, one could read for hours. Not to mention macrumors.com (Yes, I know there are many positive experiences)

Agreed. <rhetorical>But does that necessarily mean that there is not a substantive issue affecting a product?</rhetorical>

13. sunnyskyez thread starter macrumors newbie

New MBP Battery Issues

We are having a very good discussion here, thanks. I could only give the MBP quad 15" the time alloted to send it back for a full refund.

I did just order a refurbished MBP 17" with the dual core i7, but it wont be here until the end of the Month. It boasts 9 hour battery life, where the quad's are boasting 7 hrs.

When I bought the first MBP17 dual, running leopard it to boasted 9 hr battery life. It was and still is running 9 hours on a single charge, with everything ie: display, wifi, etc running at full tilt.

So I will post back when the new one comes in and see if in fact the quad core vs the dual core have been sucking up batt life.

Then at least I will know for sure. Talk to you all in 2 weeks under this same topic line. Sunny