Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Hey all,

I just downloaded and ran Coconut and it says that my battery is:

Current Battery Capacity: 5407 mAh
Original Battery Capacity: 5500 mAh

Battery Loadcyces: 2
Age of your Mac: 7 weeks

I got this on Friday, is this normal for a two day old Mac?

Also, is it normal that I didn't have to install Coconut at all? I just double clicked and it ran. Can I move it somewhere other than my desktop without screwing it up?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the newbie-ness.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Also, is it normal that I didn't have to install Coconut at all? I just double clicked and it ran. Can I move it somewhere other than my desktop without screwing it up?

Drag it into your Applications folder. It's the OS X way :) When you don't want it any more, drag it to the trash.

I wouldn't worry too much about what this application is telling you. If you notice your battery life become poor after a few months then is the time to contact Apple and get it replaced.

Edit: Oh, and calibrate your battery. Let your laptop run on battery until the battery is so low it's forced to go to sleep. Then leave it even longer, until the machine turns completely off. Then fully charge. That should allow OS X to detect the battery life most accurately. Apple recommends you calibrate about once a month I believe.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Just to be clear because many people have trouble understanding what to do, this is how you calibrate the battery:

• Plug your laptop in and let it charge to 100%
  • Leave your laptop plugged in for at least 2 hours after it hits 100%
  • Unplug the laptop and continue using it while the battery charge goes down
  • Make sure you save all your work once battery life gets near 5% and goes to sleep
  • Let the computer sit for at least 5 hours after it goes to sleep
  • After 5 hours, your laptop should be completely off (not asleep). If not, wait until it does turn off.
  • Plug the laptop in and let it charge back up to 100%

And that's it! By the way, the "Age of your Mac" that CoconutBattery shows is calculated from the manufacture date of the battery so it makes sense for it to say 7 weeks. And starting out at 98-99% battery capacity is not anything to worry about unless you notice that dropping very quickly, plus this might go up after calibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.